System Shock

System Shock

View Stats:
Which difficulty level should I choose for my first playthrough?
The game offers to select the difficulty level for different aspects of the game before start. I am used to playing games on the maximum difficulty level, but I am confused by the fact that it is limited to 10 hours on the maximum difficulty level, as well as the increased number of enemies that constantly respawn when I return to already explored locations.

Is it possible to play the game for the first time on the maximum difficulty (I don't know anything about this game) or it's better to choose medium?
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Grip 12 Aug @ 9:47am 
It is possible to get through the game on the first playthrough with a 3/3/3/3 setting, tho personally, with the latest patch, I'd personally say that first time player should use Combat 2, Mission 2, Puzzle 2 and Cyberspace 1.
Do not choose 10 hour limit for your first playtrough.

You can easily softlock yourself( eg.1 minute left)forcing whole game restart.

You will get lost on your first playtrough and you will need to hurry and likely can not explore everything.
First playtrough is likely 20-30 hours or so.

But you can play everything else on hardest without the timer.
X90 12 Aug @ 3:34pm 
3/3/2/3. Hardest difficulty, minus the timer.

Best for a first playthrough if you're skilled at FPS/ImSim. On Normal difficulty, the tension is lowered significantly. Neuters the survival aspect quite a bit.
Stargoat 12 Aug @ 9:15pm 
My first run was

Mission 2
Combat 3
Cyberspace 3
Puzzle 3

That was with experience from the original, though. Cyberspace was a bit of a challenge, so if you're unsure about how you'd handle 6DOF combat, you could lower that as well. Combat 3 and Puzzle 3 feel about right for a decent challenge.

I know of at least one player who managed to get through the game 3/3/3/3 on their first run, so it is possible, but you have to be on the ball the entire time, with little room for error.
Last edited by Stargoat; 12 Aug @ 9:17pm
Originally posted by Crypto Gamer:
You can easily softlock yourself( eg.1 minute left)forcing whole game restart.
LOL, that's not softlocking, that's just straight up failing.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50