State of Decay 2

State of Decay 2

View Stats:
Nox 18 Jul @ 10:32pm
How is SoD2 compared to the 1st game?
I played SoD1 a lot back in the day, since I really liked the community / survivor and base management aspect. I finally got the itch to play SoD again but I'm not sure whether to buy first or second one. How does SoD2 improve upon the 1st game? Is the management part more in-depth?

And also - how is the map? Is it still one map over and over again or are there more maps?

Thanks in advance.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
It's almost carbon copy. The sequel has more maps, bigger maps, more weapons, worse main plot, and that's about it .
Nox 18 Jul @ 11:12pm 
Originally posted by bunny de fluff:
It's almost carbon copy. The sequel has more maps, bigger maps, more weapons, worse main plot, and that's about it .

How is the technical state? Is it more polished? Does it run well?
Originally posted by Nox:
Originally posted by bunny de fluff:

How is the technical state? Is it more polished? Does it run well?
Everything looks better. A noteworthy new mechanism called Curve ball event might be interesting to some, but ultimately they are different combinations of enforced sub rules, some of them can be game ending (black plague heart) for inexperienced or less inclined players. Game runs smoothly even on low end rigs. Occasionally there were a few complaint about log in account problem.
In my opinion SoD 2 is better in every concievable way. Everything you had in SoD 1 is here. But more polish added ontop. As well as a more interesting base system. So saying they're carbon copies isn't exactly true. A lot of improvements over SoD 1. Customizable difficulties (albeit basic, but it's still there) is a huge plus for SoD 2.

Some annoyances still persist though. Nagging radio calls every 5 minutes for example. I just ignore them. Doesen't really matter in the long run. Only the main objectives really. I really wish we had a true sandbox experience where you could just turn those off entirely, but it is what it is. SoD 1 had this issue as well.

Also the maps are bigger and more detailed in general. And there's more than one.
Last edited by Sкiткj3ll; 19 Jul @ 1:22am
X 19 Jul @ 7:54am 
Originally posted by Nox:
I played SoD1 a lot back in the day, since I really liked the community / survivor and base management aspect. I finally got the itch to play SoD again but I'm not sure whether to buy first or second one. How does SoD2 improve upon the 1st game? Is the management part more in-depth?

And also - how is the map? Is it still one map over and over again or are there more maps?

Thanks in advance.
It a way better game than SoD1.
5 maps options and you can change to anyone of them as you play.

I would recommend this game for everyone.
I would also recommend you play Heartland (both stories) before you play the Trumbull valley map.
SoD1 started the story, Heartland gives you more info about whats going on and the Trumbull Valley map gives you the ending of the story.
Last edited by X; 19 Jul @ 8:56am
You'll have to draw your own conclusions and launch SoD2 to test your survival abilities under much different terrain variables, outposts, and combat engagements. There's nothing more to add here except your name on the commanders' list.
Migromul 20 Jul @ 3:51am 
Although I didn't play the first game, I know somewhat what is going on there. SoD 2 is baslcly a sandbox game with a freedom story. BUT: Heartland seems to be the direct sequel of SoD 1. This is a much more straightforward-story with fixed characters you'll get. (even your two first, you'll start with.) It's also significanntly harder, than the normal game, even in normal difficulty. (I'm not sure, if heartland can also be adjusted like the sandbox-maps.)

And then there is daybreak-mode, where you must defeat wave after wave of Zombies, which get more difficult every time. This is a pure Multiplayer-Mode without AI-help.
Last edited by Migromul; 20 Jul @ 3:54am
D.T. 20 Jul @ 10:54am 
Originally posted by Migromul:
Although I didn't play the first game, I know somewhat what is going on there. SoD 2 is baslcly a sandbox game with a freedom story. BUT: Heartland seems to be the direct sequel of SoD 1. This is a much more straightforward-story with fixed characters you'll get. (even your two first, you'll start with.) It's also significanntly harder, than the normal game, even in normal difficulty. (I'm not sure, if heartland can also be adjusted like the sandbox-maps.)

And then there is daybreak-mode, where you must defeat wave after wave of Zombies, which get more difficult every time. This is a pure Multiplayer-Mode without AI-help.

I'd like to remind you while letting others know too, that there are AI that help you in Daybreak. They aren't very useful... But if you solo it, there are other AI agents that are present and help a little bit.
Just to be that pedantic nerd.... SoD2 has MORE maps... but no single map in SoD2 is bigger than the SoD1 map.
Snarbles 20 Jul @ 6:41pm 
worse. they made the zombies worse, plague hearts are an awful idea and they had to keep reworking this bad idea for years to make it even slightly okay. The lack of any type of story makes the game feel aimless at times, there are very limited weather options, the characters look bad, at one point there were revolutionary war themed zombies everywhere, the game is extremely over designed while feeling limiting, all the bases suck and until recently base attacks were lame, you have no agency over the world zombies just spawn around randomly where ever you go there is no sense of clearing unless you deal with plague hearts which are not fun. You can;t reinforce houses or build things outside of a lame menu. The quest in the game do not feel worth it and other survivors are like 3 random people asking for help with something stupid and unrewarding. State of decay one was a far better game. the fresh outbreak setting with a story and good dlc. It was smaller and more grounded feeling and the gameplay loop, art style, and characters were all far better, the ui was better, all around better game.
Viper 20 Jul @ 7:06pm 
The only differences is SOD had a slightly better home base system vs SOD2
While Sod2 has some better and some not so better things such as SOD 1 you could set up traps near outpost... SOD 2 you can't

SOD 1 you got a nicer version of the AK 47.. SOD 2 everything sounds the same the games content isn't made by the devs ...its all pre,made stuff... they just purchase it like a diner buying cookies from costco and then saying on the menu "Fresh home made cookies"

SOD 2 is just a bland mixture of bad idea's and horrible dev's who are to lazy too do anything themselves.
You can set mine traps too in this game iirc (albeit costly )
Socipat 21 Jul @ 4:45am 
I would say SOD1 is better than SOD2 gamewise, and no they are not carbon copies. However, SOD2 has better replayability than SOD1.
much better in every way ^^
tried both didnt have attachment to either before hand and 2 is soo much more enjoyable, you need nostalgia to be more for 1 than 2 for sure :D
If you liked sod1 you will probably like sod2 even more. It has more of everything.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 1530 50