SteamVR Tracking HDK

SteamVR Tracking HDK

rghz 5 Aug, 2022 @ 6:30am
How to use the tool "hmd_designer.exe" (HMD Designer) ?
We got the HDK, the SDK, built a prototype headsets with photodiodes in the correct locations. Calibrated the IMU, the photodiodes, now we want to run the HMD designer tool. It just doesn't start. Through the Explorer it just doesn't start, through the cmd it's not clear what arguments it expects.
That tool seems to be written in Unity. There's another tool written completely in Python located at tools\scripts\hmd_designer_gui . The name is almost the same, but it's written in a completely different language?? Are they the same? Different? What does each do?

The documentation is either lacking or outdated.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
neph 11 Aug, 2022 @ 11:05am 
The presentations and exercises are not enough. You need to dig into the "docs" folder for several things (especially when you come to the firmware bit). But for what you're asking, the "simulation_user_manual.pdf" might help you. But again, it's been some time since I worked with the HDK.
rghz 12 Aug, 2022 @ 6:11am 
We've done all that. I learned what the issue was, but it was due to lack of documentation, not us not looking enough.

The docs fail to mention that the Unity program is not the HMD Designer, it is merely a 3d viewer for the HMD Designer and the latter is actually written in Python and placed in a deeper subfolder called 'scripts'. To add to the confusion, the HMD Designer Viewer written in Unity cannot be launched by the user and must only be launched by the HMD Designer Python program, yet it fails to provide proper error or warning message when attempted to be launched by the user. The final confusing bit is that the HDK authors have not written an exe to launch the HMD Designer Python script with the correct pre-bundled Python, you can only start it from Steam, or you have to write your own exe launcher if you want the bundled python and python 3rd party libraries to be used, which is what we did, as not all my developers have the HDK on Steam.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50