DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED

DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED

View Stats:
After playing demon souls on rpcs3 I now know why...
Now I know why DS1 is the one that popularized the soulslike genre and why its that one that is always brought up in many discussions or study of cases as a masterpiece of some sort or a genre-defining game that came out of nowhere and exploded and that will be studied and talked about for years while demon souls which is pretty much almost the same game, which also came before and had all the foundations there is being swept under the carpet, demon souls is such a bad game, I finished it yesterday on rpcs3 and many of its design decisions is baffling its such a weird game that has something good hidden deep inside a huge fat blob of crap, it truly deserves the vision of a "failed project" like miyazaki originally said, Im just so happy that the dude got a second chance and a better budget to make DS1 with bandai and with the explosion of popularity it had we got the sequels, elden ring and BB and an entire subgenre of games in the making.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Cabbage 14 Jul @ 9:30pm 
It was a commercial and critical success. Hardly a bag of crap, even if it is rough at parts.
Original Demon Souls got a unique atmosphere no later game could overthrow, nor the remaster could recreate in its fullest.

clunky gameplay
@
magical fairy tale
Originally posted by Cabbage:
It was a commercial and critical success. Hardly a bag of crap, even if it is rough at parts.

Since when demon souls was a commercial success ? Critical maybe but I dont think it sold even a million in its first years (Im talking about the original release) lets not spread lies and what ifs here
Originally posted by zero hope >:(:
Original Demon Souls got a unique atmosphere no later game could overthrow, nor the remaster could recreate in its fullest.

clunky gameplay
@
magical fairy tale

Truly, the remake was such a useless and inefficient as a remake, it shows bluepoint are just makeup artists, they didnt change much to modernize of the gameplay to "respect" the original vision so we still have this dated gameplay in 2020 yet they ruined the atmosphere and artistic design with the liberties they took in the visual department and also the ost, there was no need to make a new one, apart of making it available on a more modern hardware and ignoring the new graphics, the remake fails at its job.
Originally posted by Black Fox:

Since when demon souls was a commercial success ? Critical maybe but I dont think it sold even a million in its first years (Im talking about the original release) lets not spread lies and what ifs here

As of 2011, the game has sold over one million copies worldwide.

Pretty succesful if you ask me. Enough to warranty a next game in the same spirit.
Cabbage 15 Jul @ 9:16am 
Originally posted by Black Fox:

This was old Fromsoftware, before they made blockbuster titles that everyone knew. Chromehounds, Enchanted Arms, other stuff you probably never heard of. Do you really think they sold in the millions? Demon's Souls was a hit by their standards. It became a Playstation 'Greatest Hits' title a year after it launched. Sure it was no Elden Ring but they were probably pretty happy with it considering Dark Souls dropped two years later.
I'm still replaying the remake of DeS. I REALLY LOVE THE HUB WORLD, and tendency, SYSTEM.

But... yeah, the OG's got the most jank and exploits in the series. This game has it's fair share as well.

Recommend watching/playing king's field if you wanna see their much clunkier roots.
dcy665 15 Jul @ 8:37pm 
Why do the modern/young souls like gamers never take into consideration the time things were developed? Because it happened before they were born, or still in short pants. That's my best guess.

Straight up, Demon's Souls is not crap A decent game for its time. It is very grindy, but that was pretty much expected back then. That is True in PtDE and Remastered. Level up, upgrade your weapons, your gear and farm the goodies you need to survive. Then kill that boss and move on to the area.

The worst part of Demon's for myself was having to use the web to find things. Items hidden behind statues, etc. In Dark Souls you will see the shiny. You might have to combat some arbitrary number of mobs to get there. But, if you can see it, you can get it. However, it was not a deal breaker for me.

Dark Souls on console is the finished, updated Demon's Souls. DS2 goes back to the hub style of Demon's. While DS3 went all in on arcade style combat. Teams move on, and so do the fans. It would be good if a few of the new ones would look around at other games of that time.
I disagree with PS3 DeS being crap. Sure a lot of gameplay choices were bad and they ironed it all out in Dark Souls 1, but the atmosphere and story is probably my favorite in souls series. Maiden Astrea is one of the best bosses in all souls imo, not for the gameplay, but for the story.

I feel like with Demon's souls they actually tried to make every boss a unique experience, even if not always good, instead of just 10 step combo anime ninjaflipping magic spamming dude/lady with a sword we have in the later games.

In general DeS felt like an old school dark fantasy story and you can actually understand what's going on without the 3 hour long vaatividya video explaining the schizolore behind some background building brick texture.

If DeS and DS1 had a baby it would be a perfect souls game for me. But alas, especially with elden ring it ironically feels like the most "safe" fromsoft game. It could have been called Dark souls 3 2: Breath of the wild. It might be an enjoyable game but it's the least genre defining and feels the most pandering to le hardcore souls fanboys while barely adding anything truly new or innovative.
Last edited by Mistress Yaoi; 16 Jul @ 3:10am
Originally posted by dcy665:
Why do the modern/young souls like gamers never take into consideration the time things were developed? Because it happened before they were born, or still in short pants. That's my best guess.
Anachronism. They view the past as the present. They haven't matured enough to understand what the past is, so they compare the past to the present. Once they reach a certain maturity, they start to realize that things of the past are best understood when placing oneself in the past, too. The past becomes more real, the more personal past they acquire, I suppose.
Cabbage 17 Jul @ 10:33am 
There's no need to psychoanalyze strangers over their videogame opinions.
MRP 17 Jul @ 10:46am 
My take is that exclusivity of deamon souls realy hurt this game. Dark Souls is on 3 (4 with remaster) platforms and its really showing. There are ppl who own only xbox or only PC (me, for example) and dont wanna have a headache configuring emulator, so they dont play this game. Look at Deamon Souls remaster on PS5. Right now this is also a dead game. Nobody talking about it, nobody make vidia on yt about it. Maybe because everybody playing Elden Ring, but for me Deamons died to quickly.
Last edited by MRP; 17 Jul @ 10:47am
Originally posted by MRP:
There are ppl who own only xbox or only PC (me, for example) and dont wanna have a headache configuring emulator, so they dont play this game.

skill issue
@
git gud
Personally I didn't have much trouble with launching DeS on RPCS3 at all. I think I only had to enable white levels or something because my game was all black with only UI showing.

I played the game with 60FPS, no DoF and no motion blur mods installed and had zero issues. Honestly I was surprised how well it worked.

Only issue I encountered is that the emulator would sometimes freeze when creating savestate (easily solved by killing it and relauching).

Admittedly I do have a powerful PC, but I don't think it should be too demanding on your hardware imo.
Cabbage 17 Jul @ 5:01pm 
Originally posted by MRP:
My take is that exclusivity of deamon souls realy hurt this game. Dark Souls is on 3 (4 with remaster) platforms and its really showing. There are ppl who own only xbox or only PC (me, for example) and dont wanna have a headache configuring emulator, so they dont play this game. Look at Deamon Souls remaster on PS5. Right now this is also a dead game. Nobody talking about it, nobody make vidia on yt about it. Maybe because everybody playing Elden Ring, but for me Deamons died to quickly.

Counterpoint, Bloodborne.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 14 Jul @ 8:55pm