The Outer Worlds

The Outer Worlds

View Stats:
Surprised by the reviews
Most of them are positive but this is essentially a downgraded Fallout NV with some exceptions such as graphics and models.

But the one thing that absolutely blows my mind is how people can enjoy the combat in this game. It's worse than NV and the game is stupid old and outdated. I'm just curious where an 82% came from when this game is extremely mid.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
noob 16 Jun @ 9:06am 
People are starved for genuine Obsidian games.
While the writing is a downgrade, it still delivers the feel of the writing that Obsidian is known for.
They hope that by supporting OW, that Obsidian will be given more freedom to make games more in line with the original Fallout games.
But the combat does suck. Though, its primarily animations. Every action takes an eternity to perform which sucks on higher difficulties where enemies can snipe you from a kilometer away as soon as they see you.
Originally posted by NOOB:
People are starved for genuine Obsidian games.
While the writing is a downgrade, it still delivers the feel of the writing that Obsidian is known for.
They hope that by supporting OW, that Obsidian will be given more freedom to make games more in line with the original Fallout games.
But the combat does suck. Though, its primarily animations. Every action takes an eternity to perform which sucks on higher difficulties where enemies can snipe you from a kilometer away as soon as they see you.

I haven't really had much issues with combat. I went with a space cowboy (pistols and bolt action rifles only) build and even took a couple flaws. I seem to roll over anything an everything i encounter. I'd actually argue that this game is too easy.
Last edited by V4D4RS F1ST 97; 16 Jun @ 1:55pm
vioray 20 Jun @ 8:44am 
one mistake is assuming that combat is the make or break issue for all/most gamers. combat is only a small part of an RPG, usually a very important part yes and if it's absolutely awful then that can be a big issue but usually so long as the combat is at least decent then it's not going to hurt it too badly

personally though I've found the combat fairly good anyway. the time dilation is an interesting idea but a completely optional one as well, there's a fairly decent variety of weapons and some of the science weapons are especially fun. the tinker/modify system is somewhat more important than in some RPGs but it's also much more user friendly than many so it's a great compromise. there's also only 3 different ammo types which is much more inventory friendly
Byoooon 21 Jun @ 9:19am 
This is exactly What Toxic NV/OB fans really look like.
You are welcome.
Last edited by Byoooon; 21 Jun @ 9:20am
Byoooon 21 Jun @ 10:31am 
Originally posted by vioray:
one mistake is assuming that combat is the make or break issue for all/most gamers. combat is only a small part of an RPG, usually a very important part yes and if it's absolutely awful then that can be a big issue but usually so long as the combat is at least decent then it's not going to hurt it too badly

personally though I've found the combat fairly good anyway. the time dilation is an interesting idea but a completely optional one as well, there's a fairly decent variety of weapons and some of the science weapons are especially fun. the tinker/modify system is somewhat more important than in some RPGs but it's also much more user friendly than many so it's a great compromise. there's also only 3 different ammo types which is much more inventory friendly
Yes the combat would be fine if this is still and old-class RPGgame.
Problem is it is not.
Now that the game has some how become an First-person Shooting ARPG then it is vital you make the combat and landscape properly.
But i don't see the improvement since FO nv. In fact with out the Bethesda landscape support in FO3 the general experience of outerworlds just became almost awful.
Which make it a huge down grade for a game in total.
SteahmChip 21 Jun @ 11:53am 
It would help if the game was modifiable to players like Morrowind and Vegas, are to make changes in some areas.

Those games have longevity BECAUSE of mods and Morrowind, if tough to mod like Outer Worlds ; people will probably regard it as a curiosity, not at all as it is today with a continuing life of its own with a die hard fanbase.

There are some mods, for example I find the Outer Worlds Supernova Patch quite useful (using Epic version since they gave away the game and all DLC for free not long ago)
SuperNova PATCH meaning it patches SuperNova difficulty to allow saving anywhere, sleep in any bed and companions don't perma-die making the game NOT a chore but FUN (would not do SuperNoa otherwise),, and it still maintains the interest of perusing vending machines looking for water etc, which did not really have much use hard difficulty and below.

As it is, in my view, OW is ok, companions are interesting and seem easily controllable, dont get stuck or get ME stuck by blocking narrow spaces such as doorways trying to return through.

Plot is the usual "corporations bad," and areas cleared and returned to after a few level gains are just places to "harvest" stuff for quick cash (a mod would continue to spawn some high level enemies to keep the challenge; for example).

Once Im finished, unless I got nothing else going on, likely not at all to return to it.
chakkman 22 Jun @ 10:12am 
Originally posted by Valyus:
Most of them are positive but this is essentially a downgraded Fallout NV with some exceptions such as graphics and models.
How this is supposed to be remotely like New Vegas is beyond me.

Would be interesting to know if pepople also would say that it is like New Vegas, if they never seen the marketing material, or knew that one or two people who worked on Fallout 1 or 2 also worked on this.

If you want to see what the majority of people who really worked on this are like, go watch Tim Cain's Youtube channel. 😉
chakkman 22 Jun @ 10:14am 
Originally posted by Valyus:
But the one thing that absolutely blows my mind is how people can enjoy the combat in this game. It's worse than NV and the game is stupid old and outdated. I'm just curious where an 82% came from when this game is extremely mid.
Easy: Obsidian has a huge credit of trust.

The game is really more of a 70/100 game, if even. The story and characters are absolutely cringe worthy. Yes, it's that dumb.

What it shows perfectly is the way the market and the audience are like these days. Undemanding material for an undemanding, happy ass crowd.

What especially makes me hold my head in shame in terms of judgment is that people claim that The Outer World is better than Starfield. You know, you may or may not like STarfield (it's the latter for me), but, objectively, it's light years ahead in terms of story writing, gameplay, and on the technical front. You really don't have to be a genius to see that.
Last edited by chakkman; 22 Jun @ 10:17am
undefined 30 Jun @ 10:19am 
It says more about the industry than the game.
Writing is good and its enough for me. Sure its no NV but then again no game is
Originally posted by Nemerlight:
Writing is good and its enough for me. Sure its no NV but then again no game is
Writing in this game is probably better than starfield.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50