Cities in Motion

Cities in Motion

View Stats:
Yet another "won't launch" fix on Ubuntu 24.04
I have an AMD+NVIDIA Optimus configuration laptop with Ubuntu 24.04. And when I tried to run the game it just stopped instantly after 2-3 seconds. No error messages or etc. Terminal gave me nothing.

But in this case the fix was simple. Since I have an Optimus laptop I can force/select which GPU applications should use. i'm using the machine in hybrid mode most of the time and usually this means that application will prefer discrete card. For some reasons I only experience this issue if I use the discrete card.

The solution was easy (in my case). I had to disable the ingame antialiasing. Open the following file with your favourite text editor:

/home/username/.local/share/Cities In Motion/settings.script

And then search for this variable and change the value to 0 like below:

$antialiasing = 0;

When you done just save the file. This will turn on antialiasing. For me it is not a big loss and I have no time to do a comprehensive inspection to figure out the real issue. Keep in mind that I have no clue what other systems/configurations are affected by this exact issue. So may this workaround won't fix your similar CiM issue. Btw it might worth to check PCGamingWiki's[www.pcgamingwiki.com] related guide to minimalize startup/performance related issues too.

Have fun!
Last edited by ViBE; 15 Jun @ 9:26am