Gladiabots

Gladiabots

View Stats:
Is there programming involved?
Quick question:
Can you program those bots or is it just drag and dropping nodes/blocks/whatever?
Originally posted by HumanCalc:
If you are thinking of actual programming language stuff, the text stuff, then no.
The 'coding' is selecting different combinations from a menu, for each of the block.
Each block will look like attack X, move to Y that is Z, if self full health, etc.
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
HumanCalc 18 Sep, 2022 @ 4:02pm 
If you are thinking of actual programming language stuff, the text stuff, then no.
The 'coding' is selecting different combinations from a menu, for each of the block.
Each block will look like attack X, move to Y that is Z, if self full health, etc.
tripodalt 18 Oct, 2022 @ 10:25pm 
its the codding language for primary school in form of puzzle
not super easy tought
Alex 20 Jan, 2023 @ 3:01am 
The important bit is the logic. Programming by using blocks in a graphical interface is still coding essentially, but it makes sense to limit the coding in the game to this basic logic construction, as opposed to writing your AI program in say python :)
tripodalt 20 Jan, 2023 @ 12:15pm 
why everyone is swearing about python since c++ the standard ?
is lua not more easy ?
Cheesepizza2 7 Oct, 2023 @ 11:20am 
Originally posted by tripodalt:
why everyone is swearing about python since c++ the standard ?
is lua not more easy ?
python and lua are both ♥♥♥♥ lol, what do you expect from a scripting language
tripodalt 7 Oct, 2023 @ 2:25pm 
i have no expectation i just learn the most usefull language for the task i have to complete
for modding i used lua and for microchip i use c++
some recommend python
i wonder what the best
because python is arguably the simplest/cleanest to actually learn, write and read, and for smaller things or projects potentially also to maintain for that very same reason. it's also a great prototyping language, can be used for web in django or wagtail CMS.. albeit backend and more static on frontend compared to async frameworks where JS or Typescript is rather the norm.

JS isn't exactly "lovely" but in modern web and async frontends sort of hard to avoid.

Don't believe all the hardcore memory-management and whatnot fanatics. Surely statically typed languages have their advantage in terms of debugging larger projects, or for performance-critical applications.

C++ memory management isn't exactly for the faint of heart, and certainly not the best for beginner, intermediate learning.. or generic projects. Unless you go hard on electronics and hw/embedded, performance-critical or GPU/visual, low-level game-engine dev (the engines themselves) or extension thereof. For electronics there's potentially alternatives, even python but maybe docs less established.

The truth is: Python is a great language for beginners or even more advanced applications, prototyping, tools and all sorts of fields. It's even the top language in academics, research and ML etc. due to ease of use, learnability and readability.

Godot gamedev with very python-like, almost identical GDscript is also one of the best experiences you have for learning or even serious stuff; Even or maybe especially compared to Unity or UE.

I even favor Python's block-indent scope and "syntax", over C#'s disgusting bracket nests in terms of use, clarity and readability.

Don't trust the usual negatives; They might even be jealous, or try to bolster their low self-esteem by "looking down" on a supposedly "inferior" "scripting-language" - wasting time memory-managing, statically typing, needlessly bracketing just for the sake of it when it's actually unnecessary overhead and not needed at all for 99% of projects or ideas: especially for beginners/intermediates and depending on workfield or goals, probably even professionals.
Last edited by Schabracke; 27 Mar @ 6:50pm
Not all visual programming languages are for kids. This is actually one of the more complicated programming languages I've ever seen and I'm a programming language nerd that knows like 50+ languages.

Yes, visual programming languages are often used for kids, no, this is not one of those, it's actually really hard to learn.
Nef 8 Jul @ 12:57pm 
There's not memory or clock constraints, so visual works well here.

That and it's a bloody game :V
you mean its more hard to make advanced or even medium difficulty task on visual
and its just for a quick initiation
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50