Coffee Talk

Coffee Talk

View Stats:
This topic has been locked
Mojken 6 Aug, 2020 @ 6:58am
Can I ban smoking in my coffee shop?
It's weird, and since I own it, I should be allowed to ban it. Doing drugs in public like that, especially ones that affect those around you negatively, should really not be allowed indoors, and wouldn't be in my coffee shop. Perhaps a setting to remove it? I know it'd be a bit of work on the art for some characters, but I'd kinda assume that they've got layers in their original files and it really just comes down to disabling the cigarette layer.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Varyarg 6 Aug, 2020 @ 2:50pm 
Such a sissy boy.
dangomew 15 Sep, 2020 @ 3:13pm 
Gotta admit this threw me as well. Smoking is illegal indoors in my country and has been for many years. Seeing smoking inside places, especially coffee shops, is just kinda weird for me. I just chalk it up to being an alternate universe and try to ignore it.
Mojken 3 Mar, 2023 @ 3:13pm 
Originally posted by vanilla:
Originally posted by Mojken:
Doing drugs in public
If we're being fair, caffeine is also a drug.
I'm thinking I probably thought of that when I said "especially ones that affect those around you negatively", but yeah. I actually don't drink coffee in real life for that exact reason.
Dr Harry WHO 26 Mar, 2023 @ 1:32pm 
"being fair caffeine is a drug"... where nobody dies of.
being smart: smoking cigs & co. is fxxxxxx deadly even for people not using this active !! :swdcranky:
Wallaby 27 Mar, 2023 @ 3:13am 
Originally posted by Dr Harry WHO:
Well, its rare, but a few deaths were linked with energy drinks that have a huge amount of caffeine, but compared to cigs, its nothing.
cuvtixo 25 Apr, 2023 @ 2:13pm 
Sorry for necroposting, but when I went to uni (in US), and hung around coffee shops) in the late 80s, my campus had the cheapest cigs in the city, and I signed up for a designated smoking dormroom, but by the start of the 90s, cigs were banned EVERYWHERE on campus, not even any designated smoking areas outdoors. And I went to work in a coffee shop, where smoking was definitely not allowed, even several feet from the door. So this stuck me hard, being 30 years later! It's probably tied to creating movement for characters in a very limited graphical interface, esp without covering faces with drinking cups, which would otherwise be more fitting. Smoking somewhat fits the Lua "succubi", but the fact her kind is named after seductive hell-demons, it seems either the late author either didn't know the term well, or didn't expect the audience to know it. Also I expect Jorgi the cop is the smallest character because of limitations of graphics. He should be the largest!
And, while cigs are awful, remember the vast majority of users only get seriously ill after smoking literally hundreds of thousands of cigarettes, and some seem to do it without chronic illness at all. So, you can't really rank it as a deadly drug in the same way as addictive narcotics. I sure do miss them!!!
N-X 4 May, 2023 @ 8:56am 
Was wondering this after I saw a cigarette in the April Nintendo eShop Highlight video.

Coming from a country where smoking inside establishments like that has been illegal for almost 15 years and as someone who has extreme difficulty with even handling a little bit of second hand smoke. The fact that the player character is expected to just sit in it without being able to do anything about it, while the game is supposed to be a social interaction sim, sounds absolutely immersion breaking to me.
Lynn 7 May, 2023 @ 7:41am 
I clicked into the discussion forum to ask the same thing... guess the answer is no then.
News1982 20 Jun, 2023 @ 3:09am 
Originally posted by Dr Harry WHO:
being smart: smoking cigs & co. is fxxxxxx deadly even for people not using this active !! :swdcranky:

People have died from coffee.
cuvtixo 23 Jun, 2023 @ 10:37pm 
People have died from coffee.
Yes and definitely caffiene itself. Can cause heart murmers, and worsen dehydrations issue.
Again looking back as an oldie, I used to buy powdered anhydrous caffeine on Amazon about ten years ago, and Amazon banned it for that reason. Do you know in the 60s at one point half of all Americans smoked?
I don't want to argue with anyone who has had a close family member die of lung cancer, but if that's not the case STOP JUDGING! There's almost a hundred years of films where characters smoke! If you're that upset about the smoking, don't play the game! Also, I have to ask, what if they were vaping? Vaping doesn't contain second-hand smoke.
Last edited by cuvtixo; 23 Jun, 2023 @ 10:39pm
Paige 24 Jun, 2023 @ 7:59am 
Originally posted by dangomew:
Gotta admit this threw me as well. Smoking is illegal indoors in my country and has been for many years. Seeing smoking inside places, especially coffee shops, is just kinda weird for me. I just chalk it up to being an alternate universe and try to ignore it.
it's also illegal in Washington state / the setting of the game. I also just took it as an alt universe and ultimately this is just a game
dariovdo 23 Oct, 2023 @ 1:54pm 
I'd love that feature tbh i hate smoking with my soul
trjk1999 10 Jan @ 5:54pm 
Originally posted by vanilla:
If we're being fair, caffeine is also a drug.
I'm thinking I probably thought of that when I said "especially ones that affect those around you negatively", but yeah. I actually don't drink coffee in real life for that exact reason.
why are u losing in life this hard, please tell me you changed
Mojken 15 Jan @ 2:39pm 
Originally posted by trjk1999:
why are u losing in life this hard, please tell me you changed
I live in the country with the highest average coffee consumption per capita, not drinking coffee here is seen as very strange. I really couldn't drink it if I wanted to, as I'm very weak to bitter flavours.
gobbee 31 Jan @ 2:31am 
people like you are the reason i smoke.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50