Hogwarts Legacy

Hogwarts Legacy

View Stats:
ASUS ROG STRIX G18 crashes
Crashes a lot with this laptop using 14900HX, 32gb ram, RTX4080 12gb laptop GPU.
Gonna try it when I get home on my other PCs to compare if it crashes just the same with a 4090, 3080 or older 1070 if it can run it. I did have raytracing turned on but honestly it also looked great without raytracing so IDK what the issue is.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
The issue is Frame Generation. You have to disable it in Windows settings, not in the game settings.

But guess what? It starts to stutters when you do that, soooo xD
Works ok on my ASUS M16 laptop with i9-13900H, 32GB RAM & RTX 4080 12GB at 1440p. It's running on a second Samsung 980 Pro SSD. I have raytracing switched off. Ray tracing kinda sucks on this game, so no great loss. I probably have frame generation off, but would have to check. I had one crash on exiting after the recent upgrade, but no issues since.

I had some problems with my previous ASUS G16, mostly because 8GB VRAM was not enough, but mostly because the AMD CPU (I forget which one) got a bit toasty, and became unreliable. It was just out of warranty. Sometimes bad things happen.

Edit: Frame Generation was off, DLSS was set to Quality. I also had capped the frame rate at 40 fps. I think that was probably based on my earlier experience with the G16, where I found that capping the frame rate, helped even out the peaks and troughs a bit. I have left it at 40 fps, since this game doesn't need a high frame rate due to auto targeting.
Last edited by alan.d.waddington; 9 Jul @ 8:34pm
Originally posted by Iron Chief:
Crashes a lot with this laptop using 14900HX, 32gb ram, RTX4080 12gb laptop GPU.
Gonna try it when I get home on my other PCs to compare if it crashes just the same with a 4090, 3080 or older 1070 if it can run it. I did have raytracing turned on but honestly it also looked great without raytracing so IDK what the issue is.
The fact they stuck 12GB on a 4080 is just offensive. I know it's a laptop variant but seriously...that is disgusting in itself especially with the price they charge for that laptop (more than my 4080 super desktop cost).

However vRAM limitations is only the cause of some types of crashes that used to affect this game BEFORE this update. The current crashing issues seem to be caused by something else, not entirely sure what, but have you tried disabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling? You can always enable it again for other games but it fixes most of the crashing issues (though the stuttering is still awful).
Iron Chief 10 Jul @ 10:58am 
Originally posted by slymnafsr:
The issue is Frame Generation. You have to disable it in Windows settings, not in the game settings.

But guess what? It starts to stutters when you do that, soooo xD

O geez, that isn't good. I wonder if I can disable it like you said but then use something like lossless scaling app to make up the difference.
Iron Chief 10 Jul @ 11:00am 
Originally posted by alan.d.waddington:
Works ok on my ASUS M16 laptop with i9-13900H, 32GB RAM & RTX 4080 12GB at 1440p. It's running on a second Samsung 980 Pro SSD. I have raytracing switched off. Ray tracing kinda sucks on this game, so no great loss. I probably have frame generation off, but would have to check. I had one crash on exiting after the recent upgrade, but no issues since.

I had some problems with my previous ASUS G16, mostly because 8GB VRAM was not enough, but mostly because the AMD CPU (I forget which one) got a bit toasty, and became unreliable. It was just out of warranty. Sometimes bad things happen.

Edit: Frame Generation was off, DLSS was set to Quality. I also had capped the frame rate at 40 fps. I think that was probably based on my earlier experience with the G16, where I found that capping the frame rate, helped even out the peaks and troughs a bit. I have left it at 40 fps, since this game doesn't need a high frame rate due to auto targeting.

That's good to know you found a setting that worked. I am going to try this today. DLSS and no raytracing is fine by me. Thank you

I have the same laptop but with a 4070. It crashed when I first ran it.

I don't have frame gen turned off. Nor do I have hags or low latency turned off.

I set everything as high as it would go. Including the ray tracing settings. I set dlss to quality and frame gen on, then I set a 60fps cap in the nvidia control panel.

No more crashes.
Originally posted by Darren Daulton:

I have the same laptop but with a 4070. It crashed when I first ran it.

I don't have frame gen turned off. Nor do I have hags or low latency turned off.

I set everything as high as it would go. Including the ray tracing settings. I set dlss to quality and frame gen on, then I set a 60fps cap in the nvidia control panel.

No more crashes.

That's good to know, I haven't tested these new settings yet.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Turned out I had other issues with the G18 and bad default drivers that rendered my keyboard and bluetooth headphones useless at times as well. But I think I figured it out. Not happy with win11, but it is what it is.
Last edited by Iron Chief; 13 Jul @ 5:32pm
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 9 Jul @ 5:47pm