Hogwarts Legacy

Hogwarts Legacy

View Stats:
Fixed crashing problem on Nvidia RTX 4070 MSI laptop
Well as many have experienced crashing, sometimes after an hour and other times after 5 minutes of loading I thought I'd post this as I was also plagued by this more-than-annoying Hogwarts Legacy problem. After trying many 'workarounds' out there one or more combinations have lead me to a finally stable game where I can play for hours, running my NVidia card at +65C and not experience any crashing, jitter or lag.

Rig deets: MSI Vector GP77 13V running an Intel i9 13900H on Win 11. 32GB DDR5 RAM. Micron and Samsung NVME 980Pro SSD 1TB each. NVidia RTX 4070 and Intel Iris graphics.

How I got to a stable game...

I noticed in taskmgr that Hogwarts legacy was running as efficiency and was a pain to disable both .exe files (phoenix binaries location and steamapps location), so I added this to the game's STEAM launch options
--disable-features=UseEcoQoSForBackgroundProcess

I disabled Ray Tracing in the Hogwarts settings - i may enable it in the future and test but for now it's off

I disabled HAGS: Go to System > Display > Graphics > Default Settings and click 'change default graphics settings' > turn hardware accelerated GPU scheduling OFF

I set Hogwarts to high performance GPU: Go to System > Display > Graphics > choose high performance for the .exe files
NOTE: you should see 2 here, one location for phoenix/binaries and another in general Steam folder. Set them both.

Open NVidia Contorl Panel > manage 3D settings > Program Settings > UNCHECK 'show only programs installed...' and ensure you see both hogwarts .exe (phoenix/binaries and regular steam location). Set these to High Performance NVidia Processor

Open NVidia Contorl Panel > configure Surround, PhysX > Under PhysX settings select Nvidia Geforce card and check box/enable 'Dedicate to PhysX'

Set your Page file to something hard-coded. I set mine to 32768MB to dedicate a full 32GB to sys page file because I have large twin SSDs. Make sure the page file is on your C: windows drive and not backup D: drive

REBOOT and test.

Hope this works for everyone... shouldn't have to do all of this to run a game but it is what it is...

Dan-O
Date Posted: 11 Jul @ 9:44am