STEAM GROUP
Steam Community Market CmMkt
STEAM GROUP
Steam Community Market CmMkt
IN-GAME
Founded
12 December, 2012
Hack - Wallet balance gone
My Steam wallet was just emptied of 475 euro about an hour ago for apparently some cheap Dota knife and I have never even owned or played Dota. Why is this possible?

I'm honestly in shock and I don't know what the **** just happened. Every time I want to log in to my Steam account I need to authenticate through all kinds of mechanisms and codes and whatnot, but these scammers were apparenntly able to access my account from an unknown device without me even receiving an e-mail about it? All I got was an e-mail confirming the purchase. I don't even understand how my account got compromised?

What the hell happened here? And why are there seemingly no checks and balances on Steam's end to recover any of the stolen funds? There isn't even an actual customer service? This is proposterous. Is there ANYTHING that I can do about this?
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Very alarming, but it seems to be the same story each time. Be wary of third party websites and links from unknown sources.
pulzzzz 19 Jun @ 4:04pm 
Originally posted by Duel Sundown:
Very alarming, but it seems to be the same story each time. Be wary of third party websites and links from unknown sources.

It doesn't make any sense, I'm always cautious about that sort of stuff. Can someone explain to me how a stranger can access my account from an unknown device without me being notified about it, though?

Every time I try to access my account myself, even if it's on devices where I'm normally logged in on, I have to go through a tedious process of entering codes I receive through e-mail/phone number. These people were able to waltz right into my account and snatch my entire Steam wallet balance without me receiving ANY notification. How on earth is this possible?

475 euros for some Dota knife that apparently sells for 0.06 cents on the marketplace (the marketplace that I also never have used or even looked at before in my entire 10+ years of using Steam btw).

This is one of the most blatant examples of a scam I have ever seen, and should be EASILY reversible. And yet from what I've read Steam is apparently just gonna tell me to eat it. Amazing company.

AND THERE ISN'T EVEN ANY REAL AVENUES TO CONTACT THEM ABOUT THESE THINGS
Last edited by pulzzzz; 19 Jun @ 4:10pm
There are far too many ways that someone can get your information and most of those are from the account holder themselves even if you are unaware of it, there are phishing sites, Discord, cheats (malware and other forms), clicking on some random link, etc, etc.

Once they get the basic information they need it's easy for them to gain most if not all access to your account and then they'll use bots to clean out items and or cash from the account.

- Scan your computer. (Optional).
- Deauthorize all other devices.
- Generate new backup codes for your Mobile App.
- Change your password. (Email optional) on a secure device.
- Revoke the API key.
Last edited by B l u e b e r r y P o p t a r t; 19 Jun @ 4:15pm
pulzzzz 19 Jun @ 4:24pm 
Originally posted by B l u e b e r r y P o p t a r t:
There are far too many ways that someone can get your information and most of those are from the account holder themselves even if you are unaware of it, there are phishing sites, Discord, cheats (malware and other forms), clicking on some random link, etc, etc.

Once they get the basic information they need it's easy for them to gain most if not all access to your account and then they'll use bots to clean out items and or cash from the account.

This is honestly just crap, I've had Steam Guard activated. If someone attempts to access my account from an unknown device, at the very least I would have to have been notified about it through e-mail, which never happened.

I've also had MalwareBytes active and there haven't been any anomalies.

None of this makes any sense whatsoever. Not trying to sound schizo or cynical here but I'd almost suspect that someone with backend access compromised my account or something.

In any case, it's scandalous that there appears to be zero policy on Steam's behalf to remedy these sorts of occurences. I just lost nearly 500 euros and I'm just supposed to get over it now. Thanks Steam! Lovely.

And again: there appears to be literally no way whatsoever to contact them directly about this. Could easily have this sorted out and remedied if they had ANY kind of customer service infrastructure in place. Especially because I figured out what happened so soon after. But they probably won't respond until there's absolutely nothing to be done about it anymore anyway, if at all. What a joke.
Last edited by pulzzzz; 19 Jun @ 4:28pm
tomg2111 20 Jun @ 12:34pm 
Just got the same thing. 20€ lost because i apparently bought some ♥♥♥♥♥♥ skin on cs (i don't even have the game lol)
wtf is this ♥♥♥♥
asha* 20 Jun @ 12:40pm 
Not one very super protection can not protect you and your account if you:

1) You enter in your account on unknown/scam sites,
2) if you not have normal antivirus in your system
3) If you download by default any files from internet
4) You have very short/easy password
5) You enter in your account from unknown PC's without logout after using it (example in internet cafe)
6) You use unknown/scam extensions or plugins in your browser.
7) You use doubt/unknown VPN-services or bluetooth connections
Last edited by asha*; 20 Jun @ 12:47pm
Not sure how this does happen, I know I'm not adding anything worth-while here, but;
This has been happening to me (and as I see others) for months. The only devices logged in are my phone and my PC; have mobile guard on highest security possible; PC is consistently clean from any invasive softwares and malware. Never had an API Key but I generated one just to revoke it anyway; yet somehow, someway: someone is able to randomly pop-in, sell my items on the market, empty my balance, and piss off like they were never there. The only way I'm able to tell (as same with this one) isn't that I got a "Log in" from Steam Guard; I got 5 e-mails in a row about "You sold an item on the market!". If anyone knows wtf is going on with this? Any information appreciated.
As for what he said about Steam Support; Every time I contact them within less than 3 minutes of it happening, and he's right, the answer is usually along the lines of "you are responsible for your account's security". Yes! That's true! That's also not what the support ticket was for! It was to ask why all of the steps they provide do not work when someone has accessed the account and is actively making changes on it; and I'm getting no notification from their guard; and if there is anything they could tell me about what might be causing it. Nothing.
RV14 22 Jun @ 4:05pm 
Same thing happened to my like 4 hours ago. Idk what happened and apparently i bought a dota skin eventhough i dont play dota and sell my MH Rise Trading Card lol. Goodthing i only have like 1$ worth of fund in here.
pulzzzz 22 Jun @ 4:23pm 
Originally posted by President ☯Vibin☯:
Not sure how this does happen, I know I'm not adding anything worth-while here, but;
This has been happening to me (and as I see others) for months. The only devices logged in are my phone and my PC; have mobile guard on highest security possible; PC is consistently clean from any invasive softwares and malware. Never had an API Key but I generated one just to revoke it anyway; yet somehow, someway: someone is able to randomly pop-in, sell my items on the market, empty my balance, and piss off like they were never there. The only way I'm able to tell (as same with this one) isn't that I got a "Log in" from Steam Guard; I got 5 e-mails in a row about "You sold an item on the market!". If anyone knows wtf is going on with this? Any information appreciated.
As for what he said about Steam Support; Every time I contact them within less than 3 minutes of it happening, and he's right, the answer is usually along the lines of "you are responsible for your account's security". Yes! That's true! That's also not what the support ticket was for! It was to ask why all of the steps they provide do not work when someone has accessed the account and is actively making changes on it; and I'm getting no notification from their guard; and if there is anything they could tell me about what might be causing it. Nothing.

Originally posted by RV14:
Same thing happened to my like 4 hours ago. Idk what happened and apparently i bought a dota skin eventhough i dont play dota and sell my MH Rise Trading Card lol. Goodthing i only have like 1$ worth of fund in here.

Sorry to hear that you've had a similar experience. Sadly, I can tell you based on the responses I've had here and in another thread elsewhere on the user forums that you're not going to receive assistance with anything other than managing your account security after the fact. There is no way to recover your items/funds or to get Steam to investigate the situation or even to get in touch with them. Personally, I think it's preposterous, but there's nothing to be done about it.
Mordax 20 Jul @ 1:59am 
Same situation yesterday.
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50