Steam Remote Play homestream
STEAM GROUP
Steam Remote Play homestream
IN-GAME
Founded
7 November, 2013
Nugscree 27 Jul, 2021 @ 3:22pm
No audio in games when streaming to Macbook pro
Steam remote play works fine when used on my Windows 10 Laptop, Samsung TV, Samsung tablet and Android phone. But for some reason the audio refuses to pass through when I connect my Macbook pro, so it seems like an Apple issue.

Did anybody have had success connecting to a Windows host from an Apple device?

I'm too far away for direct access to the home computer and the only two devices I have with me are the Macbook pro and the tablet, but the tablet has input issues even with the connected gamepad.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
pRoFiLe NaMe 26 Aug, 2021 @ 3:25pm 
Who even uses Macs for gaming? Especially the M1 models that are even more incompatible. You'll have to ask Valve to add optimisations which they probably won't if ever at all.
Nugscree 5 Sep, 2021 @ 8:31am 
Originally posted by 20th Year Otaku:
Who even uses Macs for gaming? Especially the M1 models that are even more incompatible. You'll have to ask Valve to add optimisations which they probably won't if ever at all.

Thanks for absolutely no help at all, I didn't ask for your opinion about using macs for gaming, I asked for a technical solution for a technical problem I had with my machines at that time.

The mac is my dev machine, I was away from home and so it was the only machine to remote play on. It seems weird to me that every one of the machines mentioned in the starting post would pass through audio with remote play but for some reason the macbook pro doesn't. Hence my request for help or hearing from people that have had success with this combo.
pan4o16 5 Sep, 2021 @ 1:52pm 
You have to enable "Play audio on Host" at Remote Play settings on the host computer.

To find the settings just click Steam on the top left > Settings > Remote Play > Advanced Host Options > Tick "Play audio on Host.

Also, make sure the steam overlay is enabled. It doesnt work when it disabled.
_I_ 5 Sep, 2021 @ 2:04pm 
streaming from a host to the macbook

not from the macbook
pan4o16 5 Sep, 2021 @ 2:07pm 
yes - you need to do that on the host, not the MacBook :)
_I_ 5 Sep, 2021 @ 3:20pm 
ticking 'play audio on host' keeps the audio enabled on the host
steam always sends audio to the client, unless the client has audio streaming disabled

link app/steam -> settings -> streaming -> advanced -> make sure audio is ticked
Nugscree 5 Sep, 2021 @ 5:00pm 
Thanks for the suggestion on the apple/ios forum I'll will have a look over there. The audio does work on all of the other devices I've mentioned in the start post, so it looks like it's a mac only issue.
Nugscree 5 Sep, 2021 @ 5:06pm 
Originally posted by pan4o16:
You have to enable "Play audio on Host" at Remote Play settings on the host computer.

To find the settings just click Steam on the top left > Settings > Remote Play > Advanced Host Options > Tick "Play audio on Host.

Also, make sure the steam overlay is enabled. It doesnt work when it disabled.

This keeps the audio on the host machine and it will not be passed to the client (macbook). The steam overlay is enabled on the mac, big picture mode or not, the sound of steam is audible but no game sound.
_I_ 5 Sep, 2021 @ 10:44pm 
if you get steam and sounds from some games, its an issue with that game
check its sound settings, you may need to pick the sound card used, set to streaming speakers

or ask in the specific games forum
BeKo 28 Dec, 2023 @ 10:53am 
Hi, i had the same issue and just discovered a fix. You have to allow permissions for "Steam Streaming Speakers" in the windows audio settings. I have windows 11 on my host, just go to: System > Sound > All audio devices, and then find the Steam streaming speakers and give them permissions.

Hope this helps :D
Hey so i found a quite well working workaround, start the streaming like normal, u don't have Audio off course because steam or whatever, install any desk on ur host and mac, connect to ur host with ur MacBook with anydesk and minimize anydesk switch to ur steam remote play and u got sound. Sounds coming from anydesk, games coming from steam remote play.
When ur host has 2 monitors change anydesk to display the non active monitor on the mac (it helps with performance)
Tested on MacBook Pro 2019 lowest specs🙃
Last edited by South Park; 29 Apr @ 7:36am
Originally posted by pRoFiLe NaMe:

Gotta love coming across old threads only to find utterly useless comments like yours. Thanks you, truly, for helping absolutely nobody while sounding like a complete tool.

Also, you can stream from a phone. M1 computing power doesn’t mean ♥♥♥♥ when you’re streaming.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50