Steam Remote Play homestream
STEAM GROUP
Steam Remote Play homestream
IN-GAME
Founded
7 November, 2013
Remote Play asking for separate authorization code
Good evening,

For some reason whenever I attempt to connect a computer to my host PC, after I enter in my pin onto the host PC, the host PC requests an "authorization code showing on Steam link to allow it to connect and play games".

The issue is that there is no such authorization code appearing on either the device I am attempting to connect, or my host device.

I read a fix on here where someone suggested I set a security pin, and that has not solved this issue for me. I have also attempted to uninstall and reinstall Steam link on the guest computer multiple times and it has not helped me.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Would anyone happen to know where I can find this supposed authorization code?

Thank you,
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
_I_ 18 May, 2023 @ 7:01pm 
there are 2 pins
a pairing pin, and a connect pin

to change the connect pin
steam -> settings -> remote play -> [set security code]
󠁳⁧⁧Dude 18 May, 2023 @ 7:04pm 
Originally posted by _I_:
there are 2 pins
a pairing pin, and a connect pin

to change the connect pin

Heya,
I've already attempted to set a security code and that did not work. Additionally, I have entered in my security code into the prompt when it appears on the host computer and the code was incorrect.
_I_ 19 May, 2023 @ 6:51pm 
you set the code on the host, and enter it on the client
󠁳⁧⁧Dude 19 May, 2023 @ 10:49pm 
you set the code on the host, and enter it on the client
The client is not the computer asking for the code, the host is the computer requesting the authorization code.

Out of curiosity, I set a security code on the host computer, and when the host computer asked for a code, I entered the security code in and it did nothing, it just asked for another authorization code.

At this point in the process, the outside, connecting computer, did not yet ask for any codes to log in. Only the host computer asking for an authorization code.
_I_ 22 May, 2023 @ 10:43am 
yes, on the client you need to enter the connect code you set on the host

on the host to change/set the connect code

the pairing code is only needed once, until you clear the paired device list
Last edited by _I_; 22 May, 2023 @ 10:45am
Speedee94 24 Jun @ 10:00am 
I am still unclear of why there is this new connection code. I dont have access to the host computer remotely. How i am supposed to enter the code in on the host computer everytime, it completely defeats the purpose of the remote play. Steam does it again, just wonderful.
_I_ 24 Jun @ 12:57pm 
you only need to pair it once, once its paired, you only need to enter the connect code on the client

basically make sure it works when you are near the host, before moving to another location
Last edited by _I_; 24 Jun @ 12:58pm
you only need to pair it once, once its paired, you only need to enter the connect code on the client

basically make sure it works when you are near the host, before moving to another location

I'm having the same issue. I set everything up and even tested to make sure remote play worked using my steam deck. I arrive at work today. Need to put a code in on the host PC... Completely defeats the purpose.
I'd like to let it be known that I never found a solution for this. Eventually I ended up just switching to Teamviewer and just only playing turn-based RPG's.
Originally posted by Literally Cthulhu:

I'm having the same issue. I set everything up and even tested to make sure remote play worked using my steam deck. I arrive at work today. Need to put a code in on the host PC... Completely defeats the purpose.

Same. They broke something that didn’t need fixing… again
_I_ 27 Jun @ 8:37am 
one stupid bought access to a shared acct and was complaining that others could control the pc through steams remote play

without disabling remote play, or setting the connect pin code, anyone on the same acct can play games on any pc using the same steam acct

stupid people get what they deserve
now steam is punishing everyone, by making it more secure by default
Last edited by _I_; 27 Jun @ 8:38am
JL 5 Jul @ 7:00pm 
yeah remote play doesn't work remotely unless you have someone in the host computer typing the code which is absolutely dumb...
yDyT 11 Jul @ 7:44am 
That is actually unbelievable. I went on vacation with my laptop, on which remote play worked perfectly fine before, and now I can't play any games because I have to enter authentication code on host pc. This is beyond stupid.
yDyT 11 Jul @ 7:47am 
I think they should've at least let it process via mobile app, Steam Guard works that way. I can, after all, install games on remote pc via mobile app, why is it impossible to authorise remote play with it?
Yup, I'm in the same boat - 2500km from home and it prompts me to type a code on my home computer.... what the hell...
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 1530 50