STEAM GROUP
Steam Families stmfmls
IN-GAME
Founded
5 March
Language
English
Reonu 4 Apr @ 3:18am
The owner of a game should get priority for launching said game.
With the old system, I was able to launch a game that I personally own no matter what, and the other person would get 5 minutes to close the game. I don't understand why this new system doesn't work like that. I should never be prevented from launching a game that is in MY own library. Makes no sense.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
also with the new system 6 libraries are shared it makes even less sense the lack of priorities, if I have 30m to play something of mine I don't want to spend 10m to tell the other person to go out.
Lweo4 4 Apr @ 5:50am 
Made a post about that too, hope they fix it, kinda uncomfortable to always talk to the owner of the game that I'm playing and in case they want to, just tell me so I quit.
I think this will happen for sure. Steam probably just forgot to implement game owner priority because it makes no sense the owner can't play their own game just because they are in a family group xD

Will much likely happen as the feature gets out of Beta.
Shametal 4 Apr @ 10:18am 
Originally posted by Samsone700:
I think this will happen for sure. Steam probably just forgot to implement game owner priority because it makes no sense the owner can't play their own game just because they are in a family group xD

Will much likely happen as the feature gets out of Beta.
Hopefully yes but we must remember that for example in the dynamic libraries that were in beta and have been for years you can not deny categories which is very necessary for it to work properly and they have never put it.
Unfortunately people are complaining a lot about regional locking and the issue of the year to change family but this issue of priorities that seems to me the most important thing is opening very few threads in comparison.
rushian 5 Apr @ 1:26pm 
absurd, if you want to play a game but they are already using it, just ask the guy, if you are going to start being stingy with your games, better leave the group
NaoEoR4 5 Apr @ 3:08pm 
There is a way to solve it that I discovered today, if you have more family members and these people have the game you want to play, try changing the copy of preference, it worked for me and then I went back to the previous copy and no longer have this problem.
Originally posted by rushian:
absurd, if you want to play a game but they are already using it, just ask the guy, if you are going to start being stingy with your games, better leave the group
if your father creates a group to share his games and you want to share them with him and your sister but you don't want your brother to limit you when he plays and you don't have a good relationship with him, the solution according to you is not to be able to share with your sister and father because you just don't like to deal with your brother?
I don't understand how hard it is to see the logic that the owner of the game has priority as it is now.
Last edited by Shametal; 5 Apr @ 8:15pm
rushian 5 Apr @ 8:42pm 
Originally posted by Shametal:
if your father creates a group to share his games and you want to share them with him and your sister but you don't want your brother to limit you when he plays and you don't have a good relationship with him, the solution according to you is not to be able to share with your sister and father because you just don't like to deal with your brother?
I don't understand how hard it is to see the logic that the owner of the game has priority as it is now.
This is about sharing regardless of hatred for someone, the magic of steam family is being able to share your games with others and you can play their games, unless you are a leech
Shametal 6 Apr @ 10:51pm 
Originally posted by Shametal:
This is about sharing regardless of hatred for someone, the magic of steam family is being able to share your games with others and you can play their games, unless you are a leech
yes, and it's fine to share for that is the same as it has always been with family sharing.
What I put was an example that can happen because it would make sense that a parent wants to share their library with their children.

In my particular case I am the group that has the most games and when the new method was announced in which the blocking was not by entire library but by game, the first thing I wanted was to share my library with my family so they can play, but I had to undo the group to see that if someone plays my game I have no way to kick the person even if I own the game, I don't want to see the situation of wanting to play a game and having to go personally to tell the person to stop playing, it doesn't make any sense that the owner of the game doesn't have the priority of kicking the borrowed player in case I enter the game, but I don't want to see the situation of wanting to play a game and having to go personally to tell the person to stop playing, it doesn't make any sense that the owner of the game doesn't have the priority of kicking the borrowed player in case I enter the game.

Owner priority is an indispensable feature for family sharing. Without this functionality the system makes no sense.
I am surprised that there are many more complaints about issues such as the year of waiting or the regional blocking when these are necessary to prevent abuse of the system and yet this part that only gives problems there are people like you who defend that it has some sense when it obviously does not have anywhere
Riva 12 Apr @ 2:06pm 
Putting my hat in, wanted to play a game but step son was using it. No way to kick him off, should easy be a take over game option or kick from game, especially if they are registered as kids.
DeZi 12 Apr @ 5:49pm 
unless you are a leech
The problem is the "leeches"
If i share my Library with my nephew i want to be able to kick him out of the game without calling him or even worse leaving my apartment and go up to my sisters and tell him to get out of the game.
I bought the game. My Account owns the License to it. At any time that account wants to play it, it should be able to. All other accounts in the family can fight it out idc, but the owner priority is a must...
This.
My kid is at home. I have some time at he office and I want to play a game I bought recently, but he's using it. I should have priority access, since the game is owned by my account.

I guess I'll be turning the Steam family off until this is fixed.
Ogami 22 Apr @ 3:24am 
Originally posted by Purple Dogg:
This.
My kid is at home. I have some time at he office and I want to play a game I bought recently, but he's using it. I should have priority access, since the game is owned by my account.

You can set games to "private" in your library, that will exclude them from being shared in the Steam Family.
Also be aware that you cant go back to the old Family Share without disolving/leaving your current Steam Family. And that will trigger the 1 year cooldown before you can join/create another Steam Family.
Last edited by Ogami; 22 Apr @ 3:25am
Originally posted by Ogami:
Originally posted by Purple Dogg:
This.

You can set games to "private" in your library, that will exclude them from being shared in the Steam Family.
Also be aware that you cant go back to the old Family Share without disolving/leaving your current Steam Family. And that will trigger the 1 year cooldown before you can join/create another Steam Family.

Seems like a good advice.
Having marked the game as Private doesn't seem to have kicked him out, though, as the game is still unavailable to me. I'll wait for a few minutes to see if Steam gives him some minutes to save and exit.

EDIT - nope. I'm still locked out after a few minutes. So at this point, if one of my kids launches a game I just purchased, I can't force-disconnect them in any way, neither by going into their settings and revoking access to that specific game nor by making the game private on my list, as it doesn't signal their client to shut down the game.
Last edited by Purple Dogg; 22 Apr @ 3:50am
I also tried to revoke his access to that particular game - also to no avail
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 4 Apr @ 3:18am