The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Revelations (Obsolete)
My Review (Too Big For the Comments)
A Review. With Hope To Come Back Later:

TL:DR I really wanted to like this. It looks beautiful, has a neat theme, but it needs more work and a few tweaks before i try it again. It's a "Thumbs Down" from me, but with hope down the road.

Ok so right off the bat something was off when i went to the new alternate path. It seems like a couple of decisions on new gameplay elements were "anti-fun". For lack of a better term.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 - I hate the snow filter. Especially on the cold rooms. I wish i could turn it off. People already don't like the smokey filter in burning basement, and this is almost just as bad IMO.

#2 - Most of the slow rooms i.e. the ones where you have to stand next to a fire or you get a drastic slowdown, are poorly designed. They feel like a bunch of new guarenteed damage rooms. I REALLY like the ones with the moving flame rocks though. It feels like a fun multi-tasking challenge and it keeps you on your toes.
The ones with fires in the corner on the other hand are lame AF. Most of them you can't avoid being slowed down. Your run speed is often too low to even reach a fire before the debuff kicks in. Combine that with potentially not having knockback (lazer, piercing, etc) and you WILL take damage.

#3 - Ice Ice Baby. I know it's an ice themed mod, but slippery rooms are kinda meh. Having less control of my character isn't really fun addition. But honestly this is fine, it just kind of fits into the anti-fun camp. Sure maybe crank up the slippery creep on those floors, but that plus the floor being slippery is bleh.

These are my main mechanics gripes without spoiler alt path stuff. The below WILL HAVE SPOILERS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Positives:

1. The art team killed it. All the tiles and new enemies look great.
2. I like the new bosses that I've seen. Unique bullet patterns, very few rehashes. That is if you can get beyond most bosses being just Ice versions on Vanilla bosses. Ice Monstro, Ice Horseman, Ice [Blank], etc.
3. The mirror side path and Mirror Isaac boss fight is really cool.
4. I like some of the new enemies and traps. Guys stuck in ice blocks, and the new 2 stage enemies are really unique and cool.
5. Enemy familiars that transfer from enemy to enemy is a neat new mechanic.

The Negatives:

1. There's definitely some bugs. But understandable with a mod this size.
2. It's caused pretty massive slowdown for me when changing rooms. In all floors, not just mod ones.
3. Some enemies/rooms seem way to hard for a Basement alt path. It feels more in tune with The Mines in Afterbirth. I would honestly love these floors as an alternate floor for the mines in Afterbirth. The ice to contrast all the lava. Like it should be at least 2 floors deeper. This would fix the problem:
4. The slow debuff ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ sucks when you have base speed, or near that. Although i talked about that above. But this is the biggest reason i uninstalled the mod. If this get's severly tweaked I can see myself coming back. The non slowdown levels are fun, but every slowdown one makes me feel like I'm walking in molasses.
5. Mirror Isaac bossfight is laggy as hell. Everytime he does his slam wave attack the game chugs quite a bit.
6. A lot of alt floor enemies seems to have really erratic movement patterns and fast shot speed. Making low range runs also punishingly difficult.
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
Ashkal  [developer] 12 Jan, 2018 @ 3:51pm 
You'll be happy to know the rooms have been rebalanced in our internal build. We've also added 25% to the radius of all heat sources, and included a visual orange aura to show you where heat stops and starts. So hopefully it's more about "stay out of the cold", rather than "hugging a fire at all times". Also any items that generate a flame, now generate heat.

As for the lagg you're experencing, can you give us feedback on your rig? Is it a powerful machine, or alittle old? If it's the latter, we can't really do much to improve your fps, simply because of the difficulty of the API and fighting against the walls Nicalis has put in place. We'll be optimising the mod in a future patch, so this may benefit you.
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
Per page: 1530 50