The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Thinking only a smallish minority will like this guitar. While others will come up with various pejoratives as their traditional aesthetic is abused by an alternate reality. That's OK. For whatever reason, I really like this guitar. I have a sunburst L5 Studio and it's a wonderful instrument. Seems to sit in between the ES175 and a L5 CES. So.. a very useful guitar. And since I already have one, will pass on this one. Though honestly, I still might been reaching for the CC if it were cheaper (listed on Gryphon, $4800).

Gibson L-5 Studio in Army Green-army-l5-studio-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd have preferred old English green but I don't mind this colour either, or an e-guitar.

Clever way to re-use those bullet holes, too

User Info Menu

"Seems to sit in between the ES175 and a L5 CES" ...? It should be indistinguishable from an L-5CES in a blindfold test - same construction, same hardware. I think it's great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    "Seems to sit in between the ES175 and a L5 CES" ...? It should be indistinguishable from an L-5CES in a blindfold test - same construction, same hardware.
    Rosewood Board vs. Ebony board might make a bit of a sonic difference, but I cannot see a 17 inch carved archtop with a spruce top sounding anything like an ES-175.
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 07-17-2024 at 07:14 PM.

User Info Menu

That's different, and kind of cool. Have a thing for OD green. Maybe needs my "field expedient" velcro dampener to complete the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-5 Studio in Army Green-pxl_20240717_2201052512-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    "Seems to sit in between the ES175 and a L5 CES" ...? It should be indistinguishable from an L-5CES in a blindfold test - same construction, same hardware. I think it's great.
    My L5 Studio has a laminate back and sides. Unlike the carved back and sides of an L5 CES. This green one has a carved maple back in addition to the carved top. There is also whatever impact the paint may have, if any. And the 'customburst' (whatever that is) pickups.

User Info Menu

Hofner briefly had a green archtop. It's not easy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Rosewood Board vs. Ebony board might make a bit of a sonic difference, but I cannot see a 17 inch carved archtop with a spruce top sounding anything lie an ES-175.

It is what it is and YMMV. I've been playing a L5 CES, ES175, and L5 Studio on a pretty regular basis. To my ears Gibson electric archtops have a lot in common. Especially in contrast to Benedetto pattern Yunzhi and Wu's.
    Last edited by Spook410; 07-17-2024 at 07:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I don’t mind the color, but then again I’m colorblind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    My L5 Studio has a laminate back and sides. Unlike the carved back and sides of an L5 CES. This green one has a carved maple back in addition to the carved top. There is also whatever impact the paint may have, if any. And the 'customburst' (whatever that is) pickups.
    I had a lovely sunburst L-5 Studio with a laminated back and an ebony board. Long gone, and I wish I still had it.

Rosewood Board vs. Ebony board might make a bit of a sonic difference, ...
    My most recent L-5PES5 was a '48 with a rosewood board. Sounded pretty good to me. I suspect that other specifications have a far great effect on the sound. My ears are probably not good enough to hear the difference between an ebony or a rosewood board on an L-5CES. Especially when playing with an organ trio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Hofner briefly had a green archtop. It's not easy ...

Ah, one of the few CES-configured Höfner Chancellors. Carved top, carved back, 25 1/4" scale, 3" rims, 16th fret neck/body joint. Wonderful guitar! Total quantity made in that colour = 1. There's also a Forest Green one out there somewhere.

User Info Menu

I have a couple WW2 military Dodge trucks so I would have to have an invasion star on mine!
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

I picked up a Heritage Johnny Smith in green a couple of years ago. It was one Vince Lewis had built.

I have to wonder if Gibson chose spruce with some irregularities when deciding to use an opaque finish. That would make good sense. The body and neck are L-5 materials. The fretboard is rosewood, which is fine. It has all the making of a good instrument without the frills and cost.

Gibson L-5 Studio in Army Green-52252823002_623b8273db_c-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I picked up a Heritage Johnny Smith in green a couple of years ago. It was one Vince Lewis had built.

I have to wonder if Gibson chose spruce with some irregularities when deciding to use an opaque finish. That would make good sense. The body and neck are L-5 materials. The fretboard is rosewood, which is fine. It has all the making of a good instrument without the frills and cost.

Wow, that is striking! Any more pics of her?

User Info Menu

I dig the rw tp badge.

User Info Menu

I don't like green archtops.

(Sees picture of that Johnny Smith)

I want a green archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass

Frog burst!

User Info Menu

Well this is definitely the first time I would pick that Heritage J.S. over the Gibson L-5 Studio!
    In fact I actually love the Frog Burst!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The Army green L5 is crazy just get a few extra $$ and get a real L5 in traditional colors. I too will take the HJS other the Gibson but cannot say I am just crazy about that either. A rosewood FB is not ebony in tradition but still top on the line FB material. Sometimes better than ebony that is not uniformly black.

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't these L5 Studio come with a kind of trapeze tailpiece ? (Just like yours Spook410 : 1998 Gibson L-5 Studio
    The green one in the OP looks very much like a "true" L5 tailpiece, as far as we can see on this pic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't these L5 Studio come with a kind of trapeze tailpiece ? (Just like yours Spook410 : 1998 Gibson L-5 Studio
    The green one in the OP looks very much like a "true" L5 tailpiece, as far as we can see on this pic
    The latest and short-lived version of the L-5 Studio was offered in two colours: "Army Green" and "Cartridge Brass," with a standard L-5 tailpiece, nickel-plated w/wooden badge. Consider yourself corrected.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-18-2024 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes:
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-5 Studio in Army Green-gib-byrdland-emeraldgreen-1-jpg Gibson L-5 Studio in Army Green-gib-byrdland-emeraldgreen-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

No:
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-5 Studio in Army Green-s-l1600-jpg Gibson L-5 Studio in Army Green-s-l1600-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

I cannot see a 17 inch carved archtop with a spruce top sounding anything like an ES-175.
    We gearheads make a life by correctly seeing giant differences where others correctly see no difference.

Phrased otherwise, the people who think that an L-5 sounds like an ES-175 are correct too.

"It's a piece of wood. I can get another one. It's not like my dog or my wife." -- Jim Hall

翻译: