Using online features in this game is like something from 2002.
Aside from the lack of voice chat, I'm honestly surprised at how seamless the connectivity is, especially after how wonky World could be if you disconnected and having to connect back by going through all those prompts. Also, if you happen to disconnect during a hunt, it doesn't throw up an error message that can get you killed since you had to click through it to close it and be able to do anything else!

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the lack of voice chat, I'm honestly surprised at how seamless the connectivity is, especially after how wonky World could be if you disconnected and having to connect back by going through all those prompts. Also, if you happen to disconnect during a hunt, it doesn't throw up an error message that can get you killed since you had to click through it to close it and be able to do anything else!
No I agree it works. It's just the whole set up a lobby stuff; find the postman then call for help that kind of thing. Like it could be way more seamless IMO.

No I agree it works. It's just the whole set up a lobby stuff; find the postman then call for help that kind of thing. Like it could be way more seamless IMO.
Oh yeah, finding and making a room could be a lot more clear, but even that's come a long way from where the series used to be. Honestly, that in of itself has been an interesting evolution, from the first game's lack of any real lobby searching beyond "well, there's a spot in here" to being able to set parameters to make it easier for folks to get into farming a particular monster.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So as a first time Monster Hunter player, should I go ahead with Rise or start with World?
Both are good! I think World does the on boarding process better, but Rise is still not too obtuse. And the Monster Hunter community is great at answering any questions you have about either game.

You might want to go with World first, then Rise later, since World has all its DLC while Rise is waiting on a few updates to fill out the endgame material. Or you might want to go with Rise if portability makes the game easier to get into.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So as a first time Monster Hunter player, should I go ahead with Rise or start with World?
Rise has by far the easiest single player in the series as well as the best traversal. It is severely lacking in content though.

World has more content (especially with the Iceborne DLC and but worse traversal and is a touch more difficult.

If you care about multiplayer then I'd go with Rise as everyone is currently progressing. It would likely be tough finding people for early game stuff in World.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Monster Hunter games are pretty obtuse in general I find. I've only played online with friends and outside of voice chat I find it's fine though. Friend makes a room. I join from my friend list. I'll play with randoms later and see.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the bow does next to nothing damage wise. I'm having to do Great Sword to get through the beginning hunts.

This is my first time playing MH with a bow and it started off bad but as I got use to critical range, coatings, dragon piercer and getting better bows I have found it is a solid damage dealer. My damage output is better with the hammer still but I can finish quests with the bow in good time now where as I could not before.

I dunno what it is but I had a hell of a time with Tobi this go around. I remember fighting it in world and having 0 issues and it was the first monster I fought. I have no idea why this thing was tossing me around so much. I didn't cart or anything but I took way way too much damage.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Using online features in this game is like something from 2002.
Creating and finding matches lost a lot of control that World had. It's a step up from the older games, but a step back from World in this area.
Both are good starting points. World has more content with the Iceborne expansion and will probably be cheaper, while Rise is an easier experience that might help with the fairly steep learning curve the series has.

Niroloc

May 25, 2020
First monster Hunter and loving it so far. I'm torn between the great sword and long sword at the moment and keep swapping between them. Only been doing the village quests and it's been pretty easy going so far. I'm up to 4 stars on it and it's a bit tougher but I'm not really dying much yet so I was wondering are the hub quests more difficult?

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
The big bang combo is more my bread and butter, but maybe I'm leaving some damage on the table? Generally what I'm doing is a full blue hammer charged attack while the monster is mobile, impact crater when it's slowed down or immobile and big bang when it's immobile and I don't have two wirebugs.

Am I doing it wrong?
Go for your X combo when you're in big doubts. It's useful because you can dodge out of the early moves and take less risks

But, I mean, if your style is working for you then it super doesn't matter. I'm just trying to answer the question of what it's for, not tell you that you need to use it; you clearly don't, at least right now

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Both are good! I think World does the on boarding process better, but Rise is still not too obtuse. And the Monster Hunter community is great at answering any questions you have about either game.

You might want to go with World first, then Rise later, since World has all its DLC while Rise is waiting on a few updates to fill out the endgame material. Or you might want to go with Rise if portability makes the game easier to get into.
Rise has by far the easiest single player in the series as well as the best traversal. It is severely lacking in content though.

World has more content (especially with the Iceborne DLC and but worse traversal and is a touch more difficult.

If you care about multiplayer then I'd go with Rise as everyone is currently progressing. It would likely be tough finding people for early game stuff in World.
I played some 4U bounced off World and I'm loving this. So I say go for it.
Creating and finding matches lost a lot of control that World had. It's a step up from the older games, but a step back from World in this area.

Both are good starting points. World has more content with the Iceborne expansion and will probably be cheaper, while Rise is an easier experience that might help with the fairly steep learning curve the series has.
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback! I'm gonna sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm having so much fun with this. It's hard to compare it to World because there are many different things, but the new movement options, Switch Skills and pretty much all the QoL changes are fantastic so far.

harinezumi

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Counterpoint: In Rise you can beat monsters to death with this:

ExmBVVXVoAABb29

I rest my case.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I literally just keep doing online hunts with strangers without advancing the story. Its just so much fun!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cant have a flagship without the cheap ohko move, nergi dive bomb oof
Nergi's dive bomb is simple though: Just superman dive at the right time. Same with Valstrax's meteor, which is even easier to avoid.

Magnamalo's is more involved, which is good, but it also makes the move feel a bit janky in enclosed spaces... And I swear the wire fall didn't work properly the first time carted.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I honestly feel like World is an easier learning experience just because there's less going on.

Rise throws a LOT of info at you immediately.

Oct 26, 2017

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious on why they added Jyuratodus to Rise. I assume they know many people really don't like that monster much and there were plenty of other options like Zamtrios :)

I guess they probably wanted to have a complete trio of mud monsters?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it has a 10 second tell, it is kinda cheap in that you'd have no way to know what the fuck was gonna happen the first time though.
It is pretty cheap if it happens in one of the more narrow areas. I've started just switching to a trap and placing one to counter it. I'm not rolling the dice to deal with it unless I have enough space to easily kite it.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I somehow sunk 25 hours already...wow lol.

How many hours have you guys sunk into Rise?

Oct 26, 2017
It is pretty cheap if it happens in one of the more narrow areas. I've started just switching to a trap and placing one to counter it.
Just superman dive into the wall twice. Once of the dash, and once for the zoom zooms. The timing is the same each attack.

I somehow sunk 25 hours already...wow lol.

How many hours have you guys sunk into Rise?
Very glad i've got 2 four day weekends back to back

ExmkXCGVEAAikcp

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I had to raid in wow tonight, all I wanted to do was play Rise instead >_<

yeah I get a lot of mounting using the HH earthshaker and noticed a lot of monster parts broke off when you used monsters vs monsters by riding them.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
I've read that charm farming/finding incredible charms is the current endgame grind, however, does the game even have charms? Or are people talking about talismans?

If people do mean talismans, I don't get it why people are saying that Rampage is an endgame activity. It looks like you can use any kind of monster material to meld talismans as well, Rampage materials are not required.

Right now the only use for Rampage-exclusive rewards seem to be Rampage weapons and ramping up weapons.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm curious on why they added Jyuratodus to Rise. I assume they know many people really don't like that monster much and there were plenty of other options like Zamtrios :)

I guess they probably wanted to have a complete trio of mud monsters?

Perhaps that, and also, for the time being, there's only one Piscine monster in Rise.

Beotodus is pretty much the only one I consider "fun", but I'd bet he was too "new" to include in Rise.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nergi's dive bomb is simple though: Just superman dive at the right time. Same with Valstrax's meteor, which is even easier to avoid.

Magnamalo's is more involved, which is good, but it also makes the move feel a bit janky in enclosed spaces... And I swear the wire fall didn't work properly the first time carted.

Not gonna lie, I have only been hit by the bomb once and that was in the demo when I absolutely made a mistake. It's not really hard to dodge. Put away your weapon and run 45 degrees towards it and you don't get hit.

I just beat it with the bow in an expedition quest. I was just looking for the camp site and it was there and I was like why not? Fun fight.

翻译: