Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

View Stats:
D. Seitaro 6 May @ 3:21pm
List of localisation inaccuracies
Disclaimer: The purpose of this post is to be informative, by compiling every discovered example of poor localisation into a single, easy to find spot.

I've been carefully comparing English text with Japanese voice lines during my playthrough, as I've noticed that the frequency of inaccuracies is rather high, which raised my worry.

What counts as inaccuracy:
- Changing context of the sentence
- Inserting puns/slang not present in the Japanese version
- Adding extra lines of dialogue that were not present in the Japanese version
- Making character's personalities/emotions noticeably different from the Japanese version

What doesn't count as inaccuracy:
- Replacing words with synonyms
- Changing order of the words
- Dropping Japanese honorifics like -san, -kun and so on, unless it's important for a character to show respect to the person they're talking to
- Adding words that make the sentence sound more natural in English, without changing the context. For example, translating a sentence that only has 命令 (order) in it to "That's an order"

Below are the links to the lists with examples of translation inaccuracies.

Zakogdo's threads:
General thread
Momo's thread

Mine threads:
General thread
Voice acting thread[x.com]

Bonus: questionable idioms/sentences or words added in the English localisation.
I personally don't categorize them as inaccuracies, albeit they are a bit odd.
Link[drive.google.com]

If you want me to add another example in this post, make sure that:
- The image shows character's sentence both in English and Japanese version
- Include a direct translation of the Japanese sentence, so those who do not understand Japanese can easily compare the two. In case you'd have trouble to translate it by yourself, send the image without it. I'll try to translate it myself and post it under my thread, while giving you the credit for finding it.

Also, to prevent this main post from being flooded with links, try to submit your examples to a website where all can be accessed with a single URL (Twitter/X threads, Google drive). I'm against websites where you can't update the content after the initial submission. Unless you don't want to update your list, then it's fine.

Recent updates
2024.09.09 - 8 new posts added to my general thread
2024.06.08 - 8 new posts added to my general thread
2024.05.29 - 10 new examples added to my general thread
2024.05.21 - 1 new example added to voice acting thread
2024.05.19 - 2 new posts added to mine general thread. 1 new post added to my voice acting thread
2024.05.15 - 8 new posts added to mine general thread
2024.05.10 - 2 new examples added to mine general thread
2024.05.09 - 1 new example added to voice acting thread
2024.05.07 - 1 new example added to mine thread
2024.05.06 - 4 new examples added to mine thread
Last edited by D. Seitaro; 9 Sep @ 3:32pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 234 comments
D. Seitaro 6 May @ 3:22pm 
Update on mine thread since the last time I shared my finds on the Steam forum:
Crash's internet slang[x.com]
Ymir referring to Kallathor in third person[x.com]
Frida's passive-aggresive remark about Nowa[x.com]
Nowa's interaction with Gieran[x.com]
Last edited by D. Seitaro; 8 May @ 6:54am
Michael 6 May @ 3:55pm 
I didn't have time to take a look at what all of this was about as I was preoccupied since release, but now that I have, I'm shocked. I wouldn't even know where to begin creating such a list because - in my opinion - at least 50% of the translation missed context and another 20% is simply incorrect.

All other arguments aside, the translation team clearly did not have adequate Japanese ability.
ace-mos 6 May @ 3:58pm 
slang words exist in japanese to you know
tankanidis 6 May @ 4:02pm 
Thank you for posting this, it is important to keep a collection of examples and comparisons so customers can have the information at hand easily

As we've found in previous threads, please do not engage with anyone who came in here to start a fight, just report their post if they are breaking steam rules and guidelines, block them and focus on the information

Do not engage.
Last edited by tankanidis; 6 May @ 4:39pm
Michael 6 May @ 4:08pm 
Originally posted by ace-mos:
slang words exist in japanese to you know

I didn't go through all of the examples, but I'm fluent in English and Japanese. It's not about slang. It's simply a lack of understanding of the language.
Last edited by Michael; 6 May @ 4:09pm
roachit 6 May @ 4:52pm 
Wow zakogdo has a lot more stuff than when I first saw his thread, he's really doing a lot of legwork exposing these horrible translations.
Elron 6 May @ 5:57pm 
Just clicked on one of the links... Nowa saying "*Groan* With your boots? How long has that zinger been nocked?"

WTH does that even mean?!

This is so bad.. how long will R&B be silent for?
Last edited by Elron; 6 May @ 5:58pm
Bucherebis 6 May @ 6:21pm 
Originally posted by Elron:
Just clicked on one of the links... Nowa saying "*Groan* With your boots? How long has that zinger been nocked?"

Zoomer level lingo. Had to use AI to decipher this gonorrhea. It's Working Designs level of AIDS.
Another one of these threads.... zzz...
So you provide proof and examples and people just immediately start the Jester emotes. Thank you for your work. I'm glad the pro localization trolls who've been verbally harassing people have been getting banned.
Elron 6 May @ 7:06pm 
Originally posted by ShinRaPresident:
So you provide proof and examples and people just immediately start the Jester emotes. Thank you for your work. I'm glad the pro localization trolls who've been verbally harassing people have been getting banned.

At least their giving their points away.. but seriously It really incomprehensible how they can defend lines like "How long has that zinger been nocked?" I shouldn't have to google English lines to decode zoomer lingo (and I refuse to do so).

Its an absolute disgraceful localisation, R&B should be ashamed and those defending it are clearly trolling. They would literally go google what this rubbish means, come back and argue how much they love it and how "fun" it is.
Last edited by Elron; 6 May @ 8:32pm
NewMoonShadow 6 May @ 7:07pm 
Originally posted by Bucherebis:

Zoomer level lingo. Had to use AI to decipher this gonorrhea. It's Working Designs level of AIDS.

"Nock" isn't Zoomer lingo, it's an archery term, for when you put an arrow into position to be fired. It makes 100% sense in this figurative context. And "zinger" has been around for decades at least.

It kind of figures that people complaining about the English localization being poor have an extremely limited vocabulary.
Last edited by NewMoonShadow; 6 May @ 7:10pm
Elron 6 May @ 7:35pm 
Originally posted by NewMoonShadow:
Originally posted by Bucherebis:

"Nocked" isn't Zoomer lingo, it's an archery term, for when you put an arrow into position to be fired. It makes 100% sense in this figurative context. And "zinger" has been around for decades at least.

It kind of figures that people complaining about the English localization being poor have an extremely limited vocabulary in the first place.

Its disingenuous to imply people have limited vocabulary for not knowing a technical word used in Archery. I mean I'm going to guess you don't know anything about firearms but surely you know what "Fouling" means right? How about "Wadding" (I'll give you time to google). Add in some zoomer lingo like "Zinger" and voila! "Dont ya understand basic English duh".

So this amazing localisation uses both Zoomer lingo very few people understand and technical words very few people understand. Oh and to top it off... that line doesnt exist... he says in Japanese "Im glad your pleased".

Great localisation, and great argument in its defence once again LOL...
Last edited by Elron; 6 May @ 7:38pm
NewMoonShadow 6 May @ 7:41pm 

"Nocked" isn't Zoomer lingo, it's an archery term, for when you put an arrow into position to be fired. It makes 100% sense in this figurative context. And "zinger" has been around for decades at least.

It kind of figures that people complaining about the English localization being poor have an extremely limited vocabulary in the first place.

Its disingenuous to imply people have limited vocabulary for not knowing a technical word used in Archery. I mean I'm going to guess you don't know anything about firearms but surely you know what "Fouling" means right? How about "Wadding" (I'll give you time to google). Add in some zoomer lingo like "Zinger" and voila! "Dont ya understand basic English duh".

The word "zinger" dates back to the 1950's or so. Unless "zoomer" encompasses the last hundred years, it is not "zoomer lingo".

This is exactly the problem though. People are seeing literally any word they don't immediately recognize and getting angry (instead of learning something, which is the appropriate response. Hell this kind of thing is exactly how I know what the word "nock" means).

Apparently the translators' real crime is using a dictionary and a thesaurus.

Edit response: And I don't care what the Japanese text says, and neither do you. "Translation accuracy" is an excuse.
Last edited by NewMoonShadow; 6 May @ 7:42pm
Elron 6 May @ 7:45pm 

The word "zinger" dates back to the 1950's or so. Unless "zoomer" encompasses the last hundred years, it is not "zoomer lingo".

This is exactly the problem though. People are seeing literally any word they don't immediately recognize and getting angry (instead of learning something, which is the appropriate response. Hell this kind of thing is exactly how I know what the word "nock" means).

Apparently the translators' real crime is using a dictionary and a thesaurus.

Edit response: And I don't care what the Japanese text says, and neither do you. "Translation accuracy" is an excuse.

NewMoonShadow - "And I don't care what the Japanese text says"

As for the rest of that setence speak for yourself. I do care. Finally you are being honest. Move along if you don't care.
Last edited by Elron; 6 May @ 8:24pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 234 comments
Per page: 1530 50