Source Filmmaker

Source Filmmaker

Metallic model deforming when it shouldn't be
I made a medal recently (as in, an Olympic medal), and I imported it to SFM, textures work fine, looks good. The only problem I've run into is that the actual metallic portion of the model warps when I rotate it, as I have a bone to control that part of the model specifically and I can't figure out why. Can anyone offer suggestions on what's going on so I can fix it please? (can provide pics if needed)
Originally posted by Zappy:
Originally posted by CaptainExtremis:
I made a medal - the actual metallic portion of the model warps when I rotate it, as I have a bone to control that part of the model specifically and I can't figure out why. -
When rigging/weight-painting the model, does the metallic part have 100% weight for the correct bone/vertex group, and does it have 0% weight for all other bones?
Even if it has 100% weight for the correct bone, it's not going to work correctly if it also has some weight for other bones.

In Blender, in Edit Mode, you can select the entire metallic part, find the model data's tab that has vertex groups, and "assign" the correct bone/vertex group at 100% weight, and then "unassign" all other vertex groups one by one. (There are probably faster/easier ways to do that, but I don't know how.)
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Zappy 5 Jul @ 12:06pm 
Originally posted by CaptainExtremis:
I made a medal - the actual metallic portion of the model warps when I rotate it, as I have a bone to control that part of the model specifically and I can't figure out why. -
When rigging/weight-painting the model, does the metallic part have 100% weight for the correct bone/vertex group, and does it have 0% weight for all other bones?
Even if it has 100% weight for the correct bone, it's not going to work correctly if it also has some weight for other bones.

In Blender, in Edit Mode, you can select the entire metallic part, find the model data's tab that has vertex groups, and "assign" the correct bone/vertex group at 100% weight, and then "unassign" all other vertex groups one by one. (There are probably faster/easier ways to do that, but I don't know how.)
Yeah, that was the issue. I don't know how that slipped past me. Thanks, Zappy!
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50