Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War

View Stats:
From a lore persepctive, is a victory on Gladius important?
Hello all,

I bought this game on a whim during the summer sale and have really been enjoying it so far. I am working on learning to play with the Space Marines, have restarted a few times, and get a little better each time.

Before this game, I had no knowledge of the 40k universe and its lore. Since getting into the game, I have watched a few things on youtube about the lore, mostly having to do with the Old Ones, Necrons, and the War in Heaven.

A definite reoccurring theme is that this is a war that has been going on for a very long time, and will likely still go on for a long time.

With this in mind, how important is it for the factions to claim victory on Gladius? What is at stake here? I am just interested to know if, from a lore perspective, winning on the planet has a deeper meaning, or if it is just one battleground out of thousands and thousands.

If the latter is true, no problem, I will still absolutely enjoy the game. I just want to know the implications of the planet are, if any.

Thanks in adavance
< >
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
Karag 12 Jul @ 4:18am 
The sector of Gladius and Gladius Prime (the planet where this game is on) is fictional created for the purpose of this game. Lore wise that means it is one of the thousands battle fields which always have existed - but until this game it has not been talked about.

On Gladius Prime are very old artifacts. Probably they are older then the necrons or formed from the the last pieces of the C'tan. But what these artifacts are exactly or what they can do is unknown. A victory on Gladius Prime means to get a hand on this artifacts and every faction (despite maybe the Tyranid) will try to get the most value out of this.

These artifacts are like the lottery. Could be worthless for your faction. Could deny an advance for others faction if you secure it. Or it can bring you an immense advantage (for example if it opens a gate to another universe where the Old Ones are)
SaD-82 12 Jul @ 5:02am 
From a lore perspective:

No victory in any part of the universe by any race/empire is important as the Warp will get them all.
Always remember:
"There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods."

(Other than that the explanation above my post is pretty spot on.)
for the last 2 Rule Editions Greedy Wonkers done alot of 180 in the lore (means they broke it beyond repair) for the sake of new mini armys and units to sell. so trying to get the lore/cannon is pointless at this point. for a stable lore you need to travel back in time for around 3 decades (dang are my Dark Angel Minis really already that old?)
Jey 12 Jul @ 7:31am 
Originally posted by Oaks:
With this in mind, how important is it for the factions to claim victory on Gladius?

It's always very important for the part of the faction that you play.
For example for the Space Marines, it's their homeworld. Not being able to win mean their extinction.
But for the Adeptus Astartes as a whole? One chapter ain't much. If they lose it's like "Dang, better luck next time".

For Aeldari however, it's very important, as Gladius is home to many of Vaul's artefacts, and apparently, to Vaul himself (or some parts of it).

The quest for each faction can give you some insight about Gladius lore.

Now of course, Gladius lore while approved by Games Workshop, is very unlikely to be represented in any other media (such as books in the Black Library), so you could also just go of the assumption of "Whatever".
One of the themes of 40K is that the universe of war is so huge that there will always be room for another battle somewhere else. The narrative is intentionally too sprawling to contain.

So, no, Gladius is of no particular importance to the fate of the galaxy or the imperium. Success or failure here will only determine the fate of thousands -- or millions.
Last edited by Maestro Rugosa; 12 Jul @ 11:39am
There is no indication that anything which happens on Gladius will be important in the long run. It is highly unlikely the world will ever be revisited or even mentioned off-hand. It's just one in a laundry list of battles raging across the galaxy. Even the fact that nearly every major faction is fighting over it is barely worth noting. In the grand scheme of things Gladius is irrelevant unless GW decides otherwise, which isn't likely.

The most relevance it might ever get is playing a memorable role in the history of whichever army is trying to wrest control of the planet, but even then it will only be one more successful campaign in what is probably a long line of successful campaigns. The actual factions themselves probably won't care to remember it.
Oaks 12 Jul @ 11:18pm 
Great information, thanks everyone.

I figured that it is probably just a small cog in the giant war. It makes sense too, from a creative and economic perspective. The longer and more drawn-out the war is, there more content can be added to it.

The narrative structure of this media is definitely different from other forms of media that I am more familiar with. Out of interest, do you ever miss a big "final battle" and a definite victor? Or is the outcome of the story much less important than what occurs during it? (The whole journey over destination notion)
The Games Rootes are a Tabletop game and its "lore rootes" a few flufftexts and backgrounds for the armys and the state of the universe, later came some books, and with each edition more (partly contradicting older editions) fluff for the armys.
even the sourcebooks for there own 40k RPG (with nice big figures, i give them that) where more on the slim side.
Last edited by Stardustfire; 12 Jul @ 11:53pm
Nasarog 14 Jul @ 1:24pm 
Originally posted by SaD-82:
From a lore perspective:

No victory in any part of the universe by any race/empire is important as the Warp will get them all.
Always remember:
"There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods."

(Other than that the explanation above my post is pretty spot on.)

Other than Cadia maybe.
SaD-82 14 Jul @ 1:43pm 
Originally posted by Nasarog:
Other than Cadia maybe.
The Warp got it - which proves my point.
"Cadia is still on the ground and definitely doesn't stand anymore."
Out of interest, do you ever miss a big "final battle" and a definite victor? Or is the outcome of the story much less important than what occurs during it? (The whole journey over destination notion)

The overarching storyline is so loose and far reaching -- and has been going on for so long -- that the notion of resolution is totally off the table.

Remember that the entire function of the cosmology is to generate an infinite variety of combat scenarios.

There have been hundreds of stories told, and there are hundreds more to come.

Wrapping it all up is never even a consideration.
Nasarog 15 Jul @ 5:16am 
Originally posted by SaD-82:
Originally posted by Nasarog:
Other than Cadia maybe.
The Warp got it - which proves my point.
"Cadia is still on the ground and definitely doesn't stand anymore."

Yea, that's true.
well, depending on the Fluff in den Craftworld Codice at least the Eldar know Ragnarok (they call it Ranadandra) is comeing (its Warp Daemons vs the Galaxy) . they know that all Eldar still alive at that point will fight in that battle, and it seems they already know in which sequence the Phoenix Kings ultimatly kick the bucket in it (The First Soul of each Phoenix King resides in its armor, and whenever the wearer dies the armour waits for the next wearer to take over, so there must be something happening that kills the soul or total destroys the armour, my guess the soulstones get snacked) .
Last edited by Stardustfire; 15 Jul @ 6:47am
Great information, thanks everyone.

I figured that it is probably just a small cog in the giant war. It makes sense too, from a creative and economic perspective. The longer and more drawn-out the war is, there more content can be added to it.

The narrative structure of this media is definitely different from other forms of media that I am more familiar with. Out of interest, do you ever miss a big "final battle" and a definite victor? Or is the outcome of the story much less important than what occurs during it? (The whole journey over destination notion)

They did a 'final battle' scenario with Warhammer fantasy so they they could introduce Age of Sigmar. It was rather unpopular because it effectively meant the game was over.
Noodle i woudend call the new crap they done to 40k much better:
Primaris SM because a long death guy came back with knowledge he still coudend have.
Break the Home Planet of the Favourite AM Army from TT Imp Players.
Divide the Eldar into another Sub Faction, as if it wasnt idiotic enove to unchain Harlequines from Craftworld, now we have Seperatist Eldar. Oh and lets Kill the Bil Tan Craftworld, it was way to popular at TT Eldar players (im one of them)
Oh lets break the Dark Angel Base as well, because reasons (yeah im biased, they where my first TT Army) ... and real stupid reasons because in all older Fluff texts its stated that Luther seen his error after fighting the Lion, so it makes total sense now that he escapes and works for chaos again....

against all that the "Sigmarines" and with them dumped down fantasy rules are harmless.... (admit again, the 40k rules got streamlined for seemingly 6 year olds as well with the newest incarnations)
Last edited by Stardustfire; 15 Jul @ 12:30pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
Per page: 1530 50