The Unliving

The Unliving

View Stats:
should i purchase the game?
it looks cool but people are saying it's bad and not getting updates so i'm confused on what choice to make
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
What do you want from it? It has its charms, but yeah, you can definitely forego hoping for any updates. It's reasonably finished but was kicked out of early access sooner than it should have been, which you can tell various places. It also really lacks run variety. Variation comes almost entirely from what power options you get and how you set your build bonuses (you can change them substantially between runs, which is a cute design feature), and fights tend to feel pretty samey.

If you plan to play on controller, it's especially poorly done. I use a Steam Input setup I enjoy which is at least less bad than what the devs made, but it's not going to play like a normal game either way. Definitely have to be tolerant with it if you want to play on controller, but kbm will feel right at home if you're used to WASD style top-down games.
I feel the game would have been better if it was just a linear RPG.

It feels bad repeating the first level over and over again. Most of the unlocks are spells I rarely use. Each run feels the same. There is no variety. There are no wacky builds to try. You get a soul spell, a blood spell, and a bone spell. Whoopy doo... Casting spells use the same resource as sacrificing minions AND requires a resource from the enemies which you only get after the group died but by then you don't need the spell because they are dead. I am always feeling like I need to hold back on spells because the devs are so stingy about making the player feel powerful. The minion abilities always result in the death of your minion and every spell requires your enemies to have already died first and since they use the same resource you have to pick and choose. This may sound like "interesting choices" but this is a swarming auto-battler game with the player as support--not a tactical rpg. I want to cast spells to support my swarm but my hands are tied.
It definitely wouldn't be better as a short RPG. What it needed was more interesting variety to situations than "add blob of two enemy types with maybe a couple of whatever passes for big guys in this zone", plus a little smarter activity engagement for the player (for example, you should be able to put the target on an enemy and sacrifice a ranged unit to have it shoot at that specific enemy). The player does have a lot to pay attention to, but a little more outward-facing player action would have been good, even if it added to the load.

I don't know why you feel your hands are that tied. Your undead are a resource for sacrifices, and their abilities work just as well being sacrificed at low health, so watch the battle for opportunities. Likewise, your spell resources come from battle, so just don't wait till its over to use them. They should have made mana pickups more visible and longer-lasting, though, and made mana in general a little easier to keep flowing. Certainly that was said to them during early access. Didn't feel like they were really listening during ea, or engaging with their players.

Early game is a real problem in a lot of roguelites, and they need to do things to make it more fun and engaging from early on as the player gets familiar with the game, Like how Neon Echo added new enemies to the beginning and let the player start with more upgrades/abilities, so the run would get kicking more quickly.

The first and second boss fights really show what the game could have been, but devs made most of the game mere filler. Chewing boring enemies in boring spaces for so long doesn't really keep you going for the few good fights. Seems like the devs just kind of... settled.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 1530 50