The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Mod Compatibility Hack
AgentCucco 19 Dec, 2020 @ 10:08am
Performance Issues thread.
If Mod Compatibility Hack tanks your performance, make sure to leave some info as to how or why it happens. From what we know this mod should have 0 impact on performance.

The main theory we have as to why it can lag on some mods, is because they are "disabled" when Mod Compatibility Hack is not enabled, and for that reason not causing any lag (or working) even if they are enabled in the menu. Enabling the Hack also enables those big mods, which can cause framerate issues.

Another common issue is smaller mods, or big rookie mods having bad saving practices, going to extents such as saving mod data every frame, which can cause considerable ag considering how Mod Compatibility Hack handles save merging.

However all of these problems are tied to the mods in question and not the Hack itself.

Useful information for pinpointing the issues of lag with the mod include but are not limited to:
- Number of mods enabled.
- List of all enabled mods (names).
- Does the mod lag when it's the only mod enabled.
- Did the game lag before installing it.
Last edited by AgentCucco; 25 Jan, 2021 @ 7:56am
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
I have noticed that the performance would go to hell when combined with other specific mods, testing out each one out individually I found that the game would run fine if the hack was disabled or if the hack was enabled and those mods disabled, but having both the mods and the hack at the same time would tank the game

after a bit of digging I found that the other mods in question were saving their data every frame, which I guess makes sense, a couple mods saving a bit of data every frame isn't too bad, a couple mods calling the hack and triggering it to save every mods data every frame is a bit more intensive

after modifying the mods to only save on new room or when certain values were updated the issue disappeared, so yeah, if anyone's getting terrible performance try to figure out which mods have the issue and check them for saving data too often

it should be up to the mod devs to fix their mods, but maybe a 'cooldown' for saving in the hack could help?

(I dont remember the specific mods but I did double-check by modifying one of my mods to save on post_render, with that change in and hack enabled the game ran at about half speed and that was just 1 mod)
Last edited by ☢ Nato Potato ☢; 24 Jan, 2021 @ 10:30pm
AgentCucco 25 Jan, 2021 @ 7:44am 
Well for what I know, the Mod Compatibility Hack only doubles the lag from saving, so unless the mods were laggy on their own due to the constant saves, MCH would probably not cause any huge increase, just double. I may be wrong though, I'll notify the author.
AgentCucco 25 Jan, 2021 @ 8:01am 
@☢ Nato Potato ☢ Apparently the issue lies with MCH saving data of ALL mods whenever SaveData() is called, this is due to how it merges save files to preserve data between updates. As you might know MCH only has one Save.dat file like other mods, and as such merging all of the mods' savedata into one single file is the only way to do it.

The issue is, if you have a mod with an awful saving practice like that and Revelations installed, Revelations will be basically saving their data every frame as well. Which could cause really bad lag, yeah.
cadetpirx 7 Dec, 2021 @ 3:41pm 
When I played Bertran with this mod enabled,it crashed the game. I think it's because the MC_PRE_PLAYER_COLLISION callback cannot be overridden on him. This could also include Samael,and others that may not have that callback be overridden by this mod while in a run.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50