Farming Simulator 25

Farming Simulator 25

Servers needing their own license
Licensing for game servers should not require a purchase of the title again. That is something that has always gotten under my skin. I have two PowerEdge servers on my local network, so no need for me to pay for outside server hosting. Please Giants, make the FS25 Server a tool that can be downloaded if you purchased the full game through Steam or other platform (Epic, GOG, Etc.). I do not believe that the server end of things would have ANY impact on piracy as I have seen claimed.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
TwinShadow 14 Aug @ 12:16pm 
Yep, this is why I haven't bought Farming Sim after 19. Until they stop with this greed, Giants won't see my money. It's the old hit them in the pocketbook, but this really only works if hundreds of thousands of people do it, which is insanely rare these days.

I have other games I can play that if they do have MP, and a dedicated server, they actually provide the software completely free, with a few of those devs even offering the servers even if you don't own the game itself. (just take a look at the tools/software in Steam alone)
XeraN^ 17 Aug @ 11:34am 
I think it has to do with their sh_t show of an engine. Just like the half minute wait times when someone joins a server.
Last edited by XeraN^; 17 Aug @ 11:35am
STOOKY 19 Aug @ 6:00am 
Can't you just share the cost of having to buy it or pay for external hosting between all players that will be playing on it, presumably a community of friends? It wouldn't be much at all even between 3 people... And if not, why?

If there is no community, or nobody in that community willing to shell out a few euros to help out, then why bother hosting a permanent server at all as opposed to a locally hosted session whenever you're actually playing it?

Seems like a non-issue.
Last edited by STOOKY; 19 Aug @ 6:01am
TwinShadow 20 Aug @ 11:41am 
Dedicated servers are nice so that people can just drop in and out whenever they want. One day, I plan to build a pretty beefy server-based system on Linux and it could run a fair few game servers if I choose to do so. That way, I don't have to pay for a company a monthly fee (I already do for a VPS for other things) just to have one game server. But GIANTS, in their infinite wisdom, wants even more money for a dedicated server, and I think even DLC too. But don't quote me on that, I may actually be incorrect on that. Either way, that's basically two game licenses just to have a dedicated server instead of just paying for the game on its own.

Plus, a dedi for this game running also allows crops to grow while offline rather than having to use fast forward all the time.
Wait this game actually has the audacity to make you pay the cost of the game twice to get dedicated server access? Sorry for the naivety but I only started FS on this last iteration and only played single player. Was just wish listing this now to get in on the new edition.
coolfarmer 21 Aug @ 10:34am 
Originally posted by YankelMyWankel:
Wait this game actually has the audacity to make you pay the cost of the game twice to get dedicated server access? Sorry for the naivety but I only started FS on this last iteration and only played single player. Was just wish listing this now to get in on the new edition.

Yes, they have that audacity. And they are the only company doing this.
Do you know what? Dedicated software for farming was crowdfunded on Kickstarter, we paid for it.
Originally posted by STOOKY:
Can't you just share the cost of having to buy it or pay for external hosting between all players that will be playing on it, presumably a community of friends? It wouldn't be much at all even between 3 people... And if not, why?

If there is no community, or nobody in that community willing to shell out a few euros to help out, then why bother hosting a permanent server at all as opposed to a locally hosted session whenever you're actually playing it?

Seems like a non-issue.

We should not have to if you have paid for the game already. You own the licensing to it; what is to stop a person from running a second instance of the game on another system to get the server up and running? Making us pay for a second license or procure that license in nefarious ways is not only an additional expense to the gamer or gaming group. But it could also be hazardous given the current ecology of the internet. Depending on which way people decide to go with this, it just boils down to greed from Giants software and artificially bloats their sales numbers for their investors.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50